Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Honest to goodness review of MSQ Block magazine >

Honest to goodness review of MSQ Block magazine

Honest to goodness review of MSQ Block magazine

Old 04-30-2014, 08:39 AM

I agree....in part. It is a well done magazine with some lovely pictures. I haven't tried any of the patterns.

But honestly, even with advertising, I somehow like the Quilting Quickly issues better. And I normally hate the slickness of modern magazines which are 95 percent ads with a few features thrown in. Go figure.

I'm going to give Block one more issue before I cancel.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:52 AM

I liked the first issue but wished all the patterns weren't for large quilts and that there were some smaller wall hangings or table runners, etc. Glad to hear there are table runners in the second issue. I'm still waiting for my copy.

Also, the first issue had many, many errors, and I found it difficult to find corrections listed on their web site. Is this issue edited better than the first one?
Old 04-30-2014, 12:49 PM

Block is a beautifully published "magazine". I love MSQC, buy from them and look forward to Jenny's new tutorials. My problem with the 2 magazines I have received is that the quilts featured are not my favorite patterns, not ones that I would ever make. I will not cancel yet, but wait to see what is featured in later issues.
Old 04-30-2014, 01:02 PM

I ordered the first magazine (digital) because after reading all the glowing reviews of it on this board I thought I was really missing out on something. I thought it was a nice magazine, worth $4.99 for sure. However, there wasn't one quilt in the magazine I want to make so don't think I will order it again.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:14 PM

The problem with all of the MSQC is they claimed their magazine had no advertising. Their own advertising is definitely advertising.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:37 PM

I love MSQC and the magazine. It's a family endeavor and I give them a big thumbs up. To be able to employee your family and many others in the area give them a real boost. It's put them on the map and provided more attractions to the area. I'm sure if one of us could do it we would jump in. I love the down home Jenny. I'm a Midwestern girl and love the fact that they are. Some people think we are slow. We just don't sweat the small stuff. I will keep up my subscription to the Block.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:03 PM

I tend to like the magazine to flip through and save. I also enjoy the videos but it is not easy to find just the video I want when visiting their website. It is easier on U-Tube.
Originally Posted by duckydo View Post
Well why wouldn't they advertise their products? I love the magazine and MSQC.. I also want the hard copy. Some of the tutorials are not listed on their web site, so I save them. I agree to each his own.
Old 05-01-2014, 12:09 AM

I'm on a "wait and see" status. I have not cared for the patterns in the first two, but that's just a matter of personal taste. So I will continue with the next few issues and see if some of Jenny's more interesting quilts shown in her videos appear. I would like to see multiple-size information on the projects, and that is because I am looking for a quick, yet pretty, queen-size quilt to make for an October wedding.
Old 05-01-2014, 03:26 AM

If you subscribe to MSQC daily deal, you will get emails with all the latest tutorials on video, lots of them are not on her web site. She makes them look easy peasy.
Old 05-01-2014, 04:00 AM

Oh my goodness, am so surprised that there is anyone who doesn't care for Block magazine. And to actually want to unsubscribe. 6$ wont make or break me, and I'm known as CHEAPIE, I dont think I would do that even if I didn't like the mag. Just forgo a hamburger basket would make up the cost.