Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Honest to goodness review of MSQ Block magazine >

Honest to goodness review of MSQ Block magazine

Honest to goodness review of MSQ Block magazine

Old 04-29-2014, 04:50 PM

Default Honest to goodness review of MSQ Block magazine

Just got my second Block magazine. I have to say that it is a beautiful publication with heavy weight paper and lovely photographs and sweet introductory stories with the quilt patterns. But to be terribly honest it is not without advertising. Every single pattern is an advertisment for MSQ. The main objective for the magazine is to sell pre-cut fabric and rulers that are used in every quilt showcased. Now before all you MSQ fans want to tar and feather me this review is my honest assessment of the magazine and a viewpoint that certainly needs to be shared so quilters can be better informed. And as a way of caution especially to beginning quilters, the majority of MSQ tutorials for quilts and blocks have bias edges exposed and if you are not very careful sewing these blocks together you will have distortion in the quilt top. I personally avoid exposed bias edges all together. As a long-arm quilter these quilt tops are also very hard to quilt without distortion. It does help to stabalize the edges with a border and if not using borders to stitch around the perimeter of the top with stay stitching.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:44 PM

I think they do a great job on the magazine and their tutorials. Having said that I discontinued my subscription. I really haven't seen anything new in the magazine.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:26 PM

I agree Marilyn, but I too discontinued my subscription.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:15 PM
Power Poster

Since it is their own magazine, of course it will be to promote their business. I love the videos and really don't feel the need to buy the magazine.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:21 PM

I received the second magazine and love it. And it makes sense they will promote their own products, one appreciates what it takes to make the quilt and where to find it. You don't have to buy it from MSQ. And the fact that there are also videos available on the internet makes it even better.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:33 PM

I love it, mainly because I want the hard copy for years to come. I love the fact it is not cluttered with advertising. To each their own!
Old 04-29-2014, 08:05 PM

I like the magazine. For me, it is helpful to have the printed instructions, rather than just the video. I hope, though, that they stay mostly focused on quilts. The second issue has several projects--quilted projects, yes--but I really prefer quilt patterns rather than bags or table runners.
Old 04-30-2014, 04:23 AM

The magazine is beautifully printed/bound but personally I have not seen anything new or innovative in quilt projects and I am not really happy with the instructions. I will continue my subscription.
Old 04-30-2014, 04:37 AM

I have enjoyed Block. I know that some people would want to make a quilt from the exact fabrics that were used in the magazine so of course they tell you what fabric line it is. You surely wouldn't have to buy from MSQ if you could get it locally. Personally I don't use a lot of precuts so I would simply cut from my stash. The second issues had several lovely pages with flowers that might have been better used for another project, but I'm going to stay with them for a while. Remember this is a new venture and it should get better as time goes on. I like the addition of small projects that can be made quickly.
Old 04-30-2014, 05:04 AM

You really don't have to purchase templates from Missouri Star as you can get other brands from almost any quilt shop that will work, and where you purchase fabric is up to you. But for the price of $5.99 an issue the magazine is well worth it for the idea's and instructions alone. I've paid up to $8.99 for other quilt magazines filled with ads for maybe one pattern that I "might" make. I'll keep my subscription to Block. Go Jenny!