Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
How fabric is made... >

How fabric is made...

How fabric is made...

Old 01-29-2016, 01:56 PM

Thank you for posting this. I always wondered how fabric was made. One thing they didn't mention was sizing. I wonder when that is added.
Old 01-29-2016, 05:02 PM

This is what I used to do for a living. It is truly amazing to watch. When 1 tiny thread breaks it can take minutes or hours to fix. When a harness would fall down it could cut a few thousand threads out at one time and take days to fix.I have also saw the warps have to much glue left on the thread and have to be cut off with a ax.Very costly for the mills.I think this is why I really love a great piece of fabric, made in the USA.I do not even buy the thin cheap stuff.
Old 01-29-2016, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by nightquilter View Post
This is what I used to do for a living. It is truly amazing to watch. When 1 tiny thread breaks it can take minutes or hours to fix. When a harness would fall down it could cut a few thousand threads out at one time and take days to fix.I have also saw the warps have to much glue left on the thread and have to be cut off with a ax.Very costly for the mills.I think this is why I really love a great piece of fabric, made in the USA.I do not even buy the thin cheap stuff.
Wow! To know the history of someone that was actually ON the job...I'm impressed... It has improved thru the years, I'm sure, but still, just to look at a bolt of fabric, gives me a different feeling about it...
One question would be."Why go to all that trouble to create ugly fabric". I guess it all depends on our likes and dislikes...of fabric....They didn't go that far into the video to explain how the patterns are created...