Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
A little more info on Hancocks >

A little more info on Hancocks

A little more info on Hancocks

Old 04-06-2016, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by Vreugy View Post
I was in my local Hancocks yesterday. I was sorely disappointed. They had flyers out with all kinds of coupons and discounts. When I got there, they would only take 20% of original price. I walked out with nothing after looking for 30 minutes. With their kind of prices, no wonder they are going out of business. Just my rant for the day.
This is the liquidators pricing you are seeing. The liquidation company bought Hancocks assets and the use of their name, from what I understand. The discount is off list price, not the original Hancocks prices. It's confusing. The article below helped me understand a little more.
http://www.scrapbookupdate.com/2016/...s-liquidating/
Old 04-09-2016, 08:40 PM

On a hopeful note, the Hancock's I was in yesterday in Overland Park, KS the store manager is exploring the idea of opening a fabric shop in the area and it would be great if she was able to.

Speaking of prices--went shop hopping this past week and I have to say that one of the shops really liked their fabric--regular LQS cottons (not batiks) at $12/yd and the batiks started at $14/yd--$1-2 higher than the other shops on the hop.
Old 04-10-2016, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingshorttimer View Post
On a hopeful note, the Hancock's I was in yesterday in Overland Park, KS the store manager is exploring the idea of opening a fabric shop in the area and it would be great if she was able to.

Speaking of prices--went shop hopping this past week and I have to say that one of the shops really liked their fabric--regular LQS cottons (not batiks) at $12/yd and the batiks started at $14/yd--$1-2 higher than the other shops on the hop.
It would be great someone step behind Hancocks. I just stopped at Joanns (left empty handed) and just kept thinking that other than maybe Hobby Lobby, they don't have a real comparable competitor anymore.
Old 04-10-2016, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by slbram17 View Post
It would be great someone step behind Hancocks. I just stopped at Joanns (left empty handed) and just kept thinking that other than maybe Hobby Lobby, they don't have a real comparable competitor anymore.
That is so true....but, it may bring some business back to LQS, for quilting anyway. Or, Walmart will step up and fill the gap.

Last edited by patricej; 05-17-2016 at 11:25 PM.
Old 04-10-2016, 01:15 PM
Banned

My friends mother (she works there) told me that Hancock's increased
the prices 15-25% BEFORE the liquidation sale started.

She was so disgusted with it, that she told them that she would
disclose that information if they didn't change it.

Haven't talked with her in a few weeks, so don't know anymore.
Old 04-10-2016, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Quilty-Louise View Post
My friends mother (she works there) told me that Hancock's increased
the prices 15-25% BEFORE the liquidation sale started.

She was so disgusted with it, that she told them that she would
disclose that information if they didn't change it.

Haven't talked with her in a few weeks, so don't know anymore.
I think regular shoppers of Hancocks are disappointed in the pricing and postponing going to the liquidation.
Old 05-16-2016, 10:57 AM

My problem is Handcocks, had already closed 2 stores in the past 10 years, leaving only 3 hour trips or online possible. No online sales, so I just disregard the emails I get!
Old 05-16-2016, 11:55 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
That is so true....but, it may bring some business back to LQS, for quilting anyway. Or, Walmart will step up and fill the gap.
I went to a Hancocks when the out of business sale started. No bargains to be had.

Last edited by patricej; 05-17-2016 at 11:26 PM.
Old 05-16-2016, 12:05 PM
Power Poster

There are NEVER any bargains to be had when a store starts liquidation. It always takes a long time before the percentages of the discounts moves into what I would consider "bargain range". I am keeping an eye on some expensive batting that I hope will still be there when the percentages finally get to 60% or 70% off. It's a waiting game.

Last edited by patricej; 05-17-2016 at 11:26 PM.
Old 05-17-2016, 01:50 PM

My local Hancock's has their in stock drapery on sale for 70% off list and if you finish off the roll, another 10%. I have been wanting a world map drapery fabric for a while. Original price, $14.99 yd (58" width). I got it for $3/yd which for me was my breaking point. I didn't want to kick myself for not getting it when I could. There is another fabric I want but it is $24.99/yd (regularly). I'm going to wait to see if the prices get lower. Some of the quilting cotton is at 50% off right now. Not low enough to make me go into a buying frenzy... Maybe in a couple more weeks.