Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
For McKenna Ryan fans >

For McKenna Ryan fans

For McKenna Ryan fans

Old 11-23-2014, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by Pollytink View Post
Can't wait to watch your process! I so love her patterns and am terrified of trying one! I need to get more info on them....they're raw edge (not needle turn) fused applique, right? they look so complicated to do and I'm too much of a "get enthused but don't finish" things! However, I'm 81, just had a pulmonary embolism so who knows how long I may be hanging around...so really should do some of these that make my heart beat faster.

Can those who've done one or some offer some tips and guidance? Applique, I love your fish!! I'll do some searches on QB to find more info there too.
OK, which one are you going to make first and how do YOU want to stitch it? Raw edge, blanket stitch or satin stitch? It is MUCH easier to enlarge the pattern you pick so you can easily stitch around the pieces. Look at the original pattern and pick out the smallest pieces. Consider those pieces when you decide to enlarge the pattern making them big enough to stitch. That's step one. Let us know which one you pick and when you are ready for the next step! Are you able to post pictures of your progress? Anyone else going to join us??
Old 11-24-2014, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by applique View Post
OK, which one are you going to make first and how do YOU want to stitch it? Raw edge, blanket stitch or satin stitch? It is MUCH easier to enlarge the pattern you pick so you can easily stitch around the pieces. Look at the original pattern and pick out the smallest pieces. Consider those pieces when you decide to enlarge the pattern making them big enough to stitch. That's step one. Let us know which one you pick and when you are ready for the next step! Are you able to post pictures of your progress? Anyone else going to join us??
Well, I got 3- 2 from the Storybook Farm grp: Pork it Over (piglets) and Neighbors (horse+chickens) and 1 from Back on the Farm: Piggy back ride (this reminds me of a Mother Goose rhyme/story and I have a wrought iron version). Will prob do either raw edge (saved her directions) or blanket stitch on some of it.

Unfortunately, it's going to be awhile before I can start on them! I have a toddler quilt I made last year (with a Christmas 2013 label for it!) for my little "adopted" DGD next door to quilt and got pattern for purses for DD and DIL for Christmas-and that ain't gonna happen! Couldn't quilt due to hip/leg pain, had rt hip replacement in April, leg infection in July, edema in legs and then a pulmonary embolism in September! This list has helped keep me going and am hoping/planning on getting that little girl's quilt finished by THIS Christmas at least! But I keep buying fabric, downloading patterns, and fondling fabric! I would love to be brave enough to do some of McKenna's floral pieces but all those tiny pieces with zigzaggy edges scare me off! I will follow everything done here and hope some of you will proceed with Debbie. With what she's said I might just go back and get a couple of the floral pieces!

And Debbie, I love your fish, they're inspiring too!
Old 11-24-2014, 10:25 PM

Thank you so much for posting the link I have ordered the 2 and look forward to giving it ago.
Old 11-25-2014, 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by applique View Post
These are starting to run out! I just did a workshop with the puff fish and it was a huge success. I was thinking about the fish next but only one of the three is still available (Out and About series).Think I will start a bunch of these after Christmas and post the process here as I go. Just for fun.
Just went to my November guild meeting and have a request for a coupe of fishy lap quilts. I have to make the tops and get them to the lady before Christmas. She will quilt both of them - one for me and one for herself. That means that right after Thanksgiving I'll be posting some like mad. I'll probably do both McKenna Ryan and a wood carving pattern mixed together to get what I want, as well as an ocean one with the puff fish, jelly fish, giant clam and sea horses. I'm thinking maybe as a thread and then post the thread to the blog here? By the way one of my raffle quilts from a McKenna Ryan pattern made $1,500 in sales and the winning ticket will be picked on December 3rd!
Attached Thumbnails high-fiber-114.jpg  
Old 11-25-2014, 04:38 AM

Very tempting. I have wanted to do one of her patterns. Now I have to go back and take another look. Thanks (I think!)
Old 11-27-2014, 11:05 AM
Power Poster

Thanks for sharing...
Old 12-10-2014, 07:18 PM

Oh my, so many to choose from.