Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Meadow Mist Designs Mystery Quilt >

Meadow Mist Designs Mystery Quilt

Meadow Mist Designs Mystery Quilt

Old 08-23-2016, 07:41 AM

It should be September 1st. I am excited, as well, even though I have several other quilts I should be working on. If her pattern holds from last year, we will do the hardest block or most units in September. Last year it was flying geese. She uses the "No Waste Flying Geese" method. I watched this video on youtube last year to help me out since it was my first time making flying geese of any kind:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhTYlIFgpXQ I should say that Cheryl's instructions are clear. I needed the extra instruction because I am a visual learner. Have any of you used the "No Waste" method before? Any additional tips to get better geese? Mine were not very good.

Last edited by silliness; 08-23-2016 at 07:45 AM.
Old 08-23-2016, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by silliness View Post
It should be September 1st. I am excited, as well, even though I have several other quilts I should be working on. If her pattern holds from last year, we will do the hardest block or most units in September. Last year it was flying geese. She uses the "No Waste Flying Geese" method. I watched this video on youtube last year to help me out since it was my first time making flying geese of any kind:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhTYlIFgpXQ I should say that Cheryl's instructions are clear. I needed the extra instruction because I am a visual learner. Have any of you used the "No Waste" method before? Any additional tips to get better geese? Mine were not very good.

I have used the no-waste method, but admit I am a bit rusty...will be fun to learn again. I normally use the Quilt in Day Flying geese rulers....except at the moment I do not know where the special place I put them is... Enough said... Thanks for the date of next clue

Judy in Phx, AZ
Old 08-23-2016, 12:42 PM

Thanks for posting the video. I have seen this method but never tried it----it does look like a good method. I cut all my squares 1/4" larger---hope that doesn't mess me up----I have never done that before either. The only other time I made geese was on the last Bonnie Hunter mystery quilt and we used the easy angle rulers to cut the triangle pieces from strips. Mine came out just So-so, not perfect by any means. So I am happy to try a new method this time.
Old 08-23-2016, 06:03 PM

I cut mine large too. I had some short wings on my geese last year so I think it will work out better. I had to stretch them into my quilt top.

I have a 1/4" guide foot that makes my life so much easier, but she uses scant 1/4" in her designs. I used the Ideal Seam guide for getting the scant 1/4" last year but I hate it. I think that tool contributed to my wonky flock. I am just going to make everything 1/4" and and if it doesn't work out so be it.

Last edited by silliness; 08-23-2016 at 06:06 PM.
Old 08-26-2016, 03:59 PM

We should get our first sewing clue next week! So get your cutting done!
Old 09-01-2016, 05:17 AM

The first sewing clue/instructions are out!! looks pretty easy, just some HST units sewn into a block. Post pictures when you are done!!
Old 09-01-2016, 05:36 AM

I checked the blog and it said Block 6. I am a bit confused maybe because I haven't had my full cup of coffee yet. Does the mystery start with block 6 and work backwards ( Block 5 would be for October?). Or did I miss instructions for Blocks 1-5?
I would like to participate just don't know if I am too far behind. Thanks
Old 09-01-2016, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by Nanny's dollface View Post
I checked the blog and it said Block 6. I am a bit confused maybe because I haven't had my full cup of coffee yet. Does the mystery start with block 6 and work backwards ( Block 5 would be for October?). Or did I miss instructions for Blocks 1-5?
I would like to participate just don't know if I am too far behind. Thanks
I don't think she's doing it I any particular order. This is the first sewing clue.
Old 09-01-2016, 06:45 AM

Yes, please join us, Nanny's Dollface. All we have done is select fabric and cut it up. You can get caught up pretty easily.

I am so glad to have HST this month. Plus, making an actual block this month. Fun!

Last edited by silliness; 09-01-2016 at 06:49 AM.
Old 09-01-2016, 09:18 AM

so happy first clue is posted... just printed instructions and off to play

Judy in Phx, AZ