Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
myths about irons from Nancy Zieman >

myths about irons from Nancy Zieman

myths about irons from Nancy Zieman

Old 10-29-2015, 03:06 AM

Thanks so much for this information. I have done nothing but fight with my iron for the last few months. I drool over MSQC tutes with that Oliso....but.....$$$. I now have a new iron (from Sears) sitting on the ironing board and water in my Brita. Maybe I'll get something done today.
Old 10-29-2015, 09:01 PM

Great info and I plan to share in my Guild newsletter. We live in Midwest with very "hard" water--for those of you that don't live with this type of water---the mineral build-up is incredible. I used to use distilled water--what I grew up doing. But more recent irons (I always buy cheap due to our water hardness)say to use tap water. So I'll now use filtered water---I will say that with out "hard" water, I do occasionally use vinegar to flush out the sediments. I aways follow that up with a water flush--but will need rethink that too.
Old 10-30-2015, 06:32 AM

Thanks for the solid information. It opened my eyes to new possibilities.
Old 10-30-2015, 08:34 AM

I was at the Houston quilt show yesterday and asked the
Oliso lady .. She agreed that filtered water is the best. She said that she can't endorse products but when I asked her if Brita was OK she said definitely.
Old 10-30-2015, 10:10 AM

We have pretty hard water here too - this is a good post though, I've always used distilled water, that's what my Gran told me to do. Filtered water is even easier, we have a 'fridge with water in the door.

My iron is mostly plastic except for the sole plate; it's a cordless so all the heating elements are in the base and not in the iron itself so I am not sure if metal corrosion is a worry with mine at all. The tank is definitely all plastic, it's translucent. I don't actually know what my manual said as far as what water to put into it...I didn't read the manual at all, I figured I knew what I was doing! Who knows where it is now, probably got recycled.
Old 11-11-2015, 07:48 AM
Power Poster

Interesting..Thanks for sharing...