Past pics about feed sacks...

Past pics about feed sacks...

Old 02-13-2016, 06:58 AM

Post Past pics about feed sacks...

http://kindnessblog.com/2015/05/06/f...ical-kindness/
Old 02-13-2016, 12:13 PM

Very interesting - Thanks for sharing!
Old 02-14-2016, 05:14 AM

Thanks for posting this. We raised baby chicks to layer size for a company and we always chose our dress fabric in the feed house room when it was delivered. l learned to sew using the sacks, won a prize in 4-H with a dress I had made. I don't remember printed flour sacks, just white that is what my mother used to make our under-garments.
Old 02-14-2016, 09:54 AM

I loved this article. What truly amazes me, is the amount of flour women used to use. When you think about the amount of fabric needed to make all of those dresses etc. you're talking A LOT of flour in what was probably a rather short amount of time!!!!
Old 02-14-2016, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by oh munner View Post
I loved this article. What truly amazes me, is the amount of flour women used to use. When you think about the amount of fabric needed to make all of those dresses etc. you're talking A LOT of flour in what was probably a rather short amount of time!!!!
When you have to bake your own bread, you do use a lot of flour. I used to bake it twice a week, because my DH would not eat store bought bread after I made it the first time.
Old 02-14-2016, 06:52 PM

I made everything from scratch while raising our kids. Had a son with a diet problem so couldn't feed him store bought stuff with all the additives & preservatives in them. I even made syrup & noodles. I bought my flour in the 50lb fabric flour sacks as I could go through that in a short time & can still get it at Win-Co store closest to us. I do still have a good supply of the fabric.
Old 02-14-2016, 08:11 PM

That was interesting. I was the beneficiary of dresses, hats and quilts out of feed sacks from my chicken farm grandmother. I loved all the beautiful patterns, but we never bought flour in the big bags. My other grandmother had a friend who worked in a shirt and short factory and the clothes I made myself came from the ends she brought home until she retired. That was the free fabric I got to work with. Memories.....
Old 02-15-2016, 11:35 AM

Most of my clothes were made from feed sacks as I was growing up. The hard part was finding enough of the same pattern to make something. Grandpa worked at a feed mill and he would save some for me so Dad could get the feed when he went to town. Mom raised chickens so we always used a lot of feed (more than flour bags). Curtains, table cloths, dish towels, pillowcases, anything my Mom could sew -- on a treddle machine. This brought back so many memories. Thanks for sharing.