Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Reacher Tool: Not just for Elderly or Disabled! >

Reacher Tool: Not just for Elderly or Disabled!

Reacher Tool: Not just for Elderly or Disabled!

Old 11-05-2016, 03:55 PM

[QUOTE=Neuras;7693450]I'd love to find something like this but that can compact to travel with me, like a telescopic option. Any ideas?

This one folds in half snugly and would fit into a carry-on suitcase.
Old 11-05-2016, 05:07 PM

We have one of these in each room (so we don't have to remember where it is when we need it) -- got one for MIL years ago and got these before I had my knee surgery: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1. When I was in rehab I had my DD bring one to me and the occupational therapist said this was the best one she had seen (id does not fold and does not have suction cups but it is very stable and works very well.

I also have this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1. I can use it to open the bottom dresser doors and to hang coat hangers on my shower rod when I dry my shirts. I also use it to take off my pants or socks if I am in pain.
Old 11-06-2016, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by zozee View Post
I'm neither elderly nor disabled, but I cannot easily get down on the floor nor get back up without a bunch of --what shall we call it?--drama. Creaky knees, a temperamental back, "junk in my trunk".

Several years ago I had abdominal surgery and my son's mother-in-law, who is an occupational therapist, brought me a reacher for my recovery. It was perfect for picking up things off the floor when I dropped them. It came in handy for a lot of things at the time, but then I put it away for years.

Until today. I needed to adjust the valances in my sewing/guest room. My sister is coming to town on Friday and this will be her overnight space. Let's just say it's had more of the sewing look than the guesting in its appearance of late.

Enter the reacher. It was perfect for getting those tab top valances just so. Then I started picking up things with it that were under my sewing desk. Oh, my goodness! Why hadn't I thought of this before! From the comfort of the edge of the bed, I managed to pick up things with that reacher that I never would have thought it could handle. Pins out of the carpet. Bobbins. A spray bottle half full of starch. Spool caps. Shoes! I was so impressed with its "dexterity" with just a squeeze of the "trigger". I picked up trash and plunked it into the can without getting up! Truly a tool for not the disabled only, but also the lazy!!

Every quilter ought to add this to their tool collection. I hung mine on the peg board. Easy peasy. If only it would vacuum and change the sheets.

https://www.amazon.com/Rheumatoid-Ar...e+reacher+tool
I am not very tall and the reacher tool is a nice tool to help me reach everything that is out of my reach.
Old 11-22-2016, 09:34 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
I got some large bbq tongs and use those. In the kitchen I use the regular tongs if I need to get something from the upper shelves. Going to Walmart today so I'll be looking for the "reacher/Grabber(it)" thingy.

hey, I have some of those...gonna be moved to a handier location now.
I have reachers, one on fridge and one in sewing room. why don't I use
them more often? I have fibromyalgia! duh!
Loved your story, zozee
Old 11-23-2016, 06:46 AM

I had one after my hip surgery but it was rather flimsy so I got rid of it after I recovered. It was good for picking up socks but not much else.

I should get a more sturdy one for the kitchen, that sounds like a fantastic idea. Our cabinets go all the way up to the ceiling and we have extra high ceilings and I am not an extra tall person, so I really can't use about the top two feet of them. I end up climbing onto the counter top but one of these days I'm going to fall and hurt myself. A reacher sounds like a much better idea than a crash helmet!
Old 11-23-2016, 08:00 AM

I am 5' 1 1/2" tall and my reacher makes life manageable. I bought it after my 6'3" son moved out. He reminded me of a Praying Mantis when he was a young teenager, but he is 37 now and he looks more like a lumberjack. When he left home, I felt a serious void in my life. My husband is not as tall as my son, so I found one of these gizmos at the hardware store (of all places). I keep a reacher in the pantry. It is much more user friendly than dragging a step-stool out every time I need to reach something that is way up high. It is also good for picking up laundry that I drop between the washer and dryer.