Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Jack Reacher

Jack Reacher

Anyone been to the movie? Is Tom Cruise YOUR Jack Reacher?

A few months I posted that I had just found out that Tom Cruise was playing Jack Reacher and how appalled I was at this choice by Lee Childs. I was very surprised at the feedback because I didn't know that there were so many of us who loved Jack Reacher. I have made up my mind to not go and see this movie. I have in my mind an image of Jack Reacher that I do not want Tom Cruise to ruin. Years ago I read this fabulous book (no clue now about who wrote it) and they made a movie out of the book. I went to see the movie which was a big mistake, because now I remember the movie more than the book and it wasn't as good. So I, for one, am not going to any of Tom Cruise's movies where he plays Jack Reacher. I have tried to complain to Lee Childs but can't get on his website. Oh well, I doubt he would listen to me !!

Blog Entries
    I have read all his books and can't picture Cruise as Reacher either. The reviews have noted the physcical difference, but gave the movie good reviews along with Cruise's acting.

Blog Entries
    Reacher character is supposed to be 6 foot 5 inches i believe. Cruise falls way short of that.

I saw it the other night with my daughter. Cruise does not, IMHO, fit the Jack Reacher character at all!!!! I've read every book with him as the main character and feel like I "know" him.
    Have a great day sewing and remember to "not sweat the small stuff"!!

Blog Entries
    My DH is really disappointed that T.C. is playing this role. He read all the books. When he discribed J.R. to me my first thought was Dwayn Johnson( THE ROCK). He has the size and ability to pull this character off with great appeal.
    My 2nd choice would be Liev Shriber. Not so much bulk but very good actor and has played parts like this.

I hope the movie is better than we may think with T.C. in the lead.
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

NO, NO, No! I like the Jack Reacher books - great, entertaining, fast, action-packed fiction - a good read. Tom Cruise is not anywhere near what I imagine Jack Reacher as looking like or being like. I probably won't see the movie because it will ruin my image of Jack Reacher!

Blog Entries
    I don't have any clue who Jack Reacher is but I have boycotted Tom Cruise movies ever since he acted like such a pompous a** when interviewed by Matt Lauer years ago. This is a man who obviously has some deep seeded issues that he refuses to acknowledge.
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I like Tom Cruise and I like Jack Reacher, but I can't see Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher. The other one that is bothering me right now is Tyler Perry as Alex Cross. I don't get that one either.

I just cannot see Tom Cruise playing Jack Reacher - I have read every book with Reacher - he is specifically described as 6'5" 220lbs with hands as large as "dinner plates" - Reacher always stands out in a crowd because he is so big and he is a man of few words - yet he takes no nonesense. I really don't see Tom Cruise pulling this one off - and I am very disappointed that he is playing this role. I am considering not seeing the movie because of this.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter View Post
    I like Tom Cruise and I like Jack Reacher, but I can't see Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher. The other one that is bothering me right now is Tyler Perry as Alex Cross. I don't get that one either.

I read that Tyler Perry was re-cast as Alex Cross. No way...that part belongs to the original actor (if I could just think of his name now!) Even when I read the Cross books, I envision the actor playing the part!!

I agree I do not picture TC as Jack. But I am still going to the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
    I don't have any clue who Jack Reacher is but I have boycotted Tom Cruise movies ever since he acted like such a pompous a** when interviewed by Matt Lauer years ago. This is a man who obviously has some deep seeded issues that he refuses to acknowledge.

My sentiments exactly.

I think it's wonderful when I read a book by an author that's new to me and want to read the rest of the series. I went to the library and got them all, I'm looking forward to more by Lee Child. As for the movie, I'll probably see it when it comes to Netflix, I wouldn't pay to go to a theater to see it. I'll just pretend it has nothing to do with the books, I have my own image of Jack Reacher in my mind and I'm keeping him, LOL.

I'm with everyone else on this. I don't go to the movies, but will check out DVDs from the library if they have a good one. I can't imagine TC as Jack Reacher. I had a similar experience with watching Sahara, based on a Clive Cussler novel. The actor did not in any way resemble the Dirk Pitt I carry around in my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowrider View Post
    Anyone been to the movie? Is Tom Cruise YOUR Jack Reacher?
    We saw the movies last week and enjoyed it very much. I am not a Tom Cruise fan and I haven't read the books so we watched and enjoyed it very much. And Pittsburgh looked so much better on film than in real life. We spend as little time as possible in the 'burgh' as it's just to hard to get around with all the streets and roads under construction. It's been going on for +30 years!
    Linda Lee

"Be the change you want to see in the world." - Mahatma Gandhi

dd
    Saw the movie on Christmas day in the evening with hubby. We really enjoyed the movie but didn't realize there was a book. I don't read those kind of books. And they were only charging $5 for tickets. I guess because it was Christmas day.
    Blessed are the quilters, for they are the piecemakers.

Quote Originally Posted by Nanamoms View Post
    I read that Tyler Perry was re-cast as Alex Cross. No way...that part belongs to the original actor (if I could just think of his name now!) Even when I read the Cross books, I envision the actor playing the part!!
    I too agree, but maybe the original actor has decided retire?????? I also liked the female co-lead, ....Judd.........but maybe they have gone on to other things or the $$$ was not enough...who knows...I am now curious about this Reacher character.....have not read any of the books but will have to look into it....as far as the movie..I don't go to movies that often anyway, but did go to see Lincoln and thought it was good

Will not go see the movie. Tom is not anywhere near the Reacher image.

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    I am not a Tom Cruise fan- so I won't be watching that one at all.

Its sad when movieland takes a novel and distorts it instead of trying to keep the character as it is in the book. So many movies have been made from a book and turns out they are not even close to the book.
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

I am in agreement. Having read all of the Jack Reacher books, TC was an extremely poor choice of actor. That being said, I also will boycott the movie.
    Deb Watkins - I woke up today on the right side of dirt. It is a good day.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanabee Quiltin View Post
    A few months I posted that I had just found out that Tom Cruise was playing Jack Reacher and how appalled I was at this choice by Lee Childs. I was very surprised at the feedback because I didn't know that there were so many of us who loved Jack Reacher. I have made up my mind to not go and see this movie. I have in my mind an image of Jack Reacher that I do not want Tom Cruise to ruin. Years ago I read this fabulous book (no clue now about who wrote it) and they made a movie out of the book. I went to see the movie which was a big mistake, because now I remember the movie more than the book and it wasn't as good. So I, for one, am not going to any of Tom Cruise's movies where he plays Jack Reacher. I have tried to complain to Lee Childs but can't get on his website. Oh well, I doubt he would listen to me !!
    Write to him via his publisher. He will get it.
    "Only those who know enough is enough can ever have enough." Lao Tzu

Blog Entries
    IMHO the only way this movie could work with TC is if the remainder of the cast was vertically challenged....even then it would be the best acting of his career if he could play a caring individual. TC's whole persona in 180 degrees from Jack Reacher.

seriously doubt that Lee Childs had any say in the casting....like Janet Evanovitch - Stephanie Plum - once the movie rights are sold the author has very little say in casting, final scrip and filming. IMHO a sad state of movie making.....
    Last edited by SunlitenSmiles; 12-27-2012 at 07:57 AM.

I have read all the Jack Reacher books, and really like them. I will NOT see the movie.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wanabee Quiltin View Post
    I avoid any and every thing Tom Cruise is in as well as that Pitt fella they both give me the heebie-jeebies

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast