Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Jack Reacher (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/jack-reacher-t209244.html)

shadowrider 12-25-2012 03:56 PM

Jack Reacher

Anyone been to the movie? Is Tom Cruise YOUR Jack Reacher?

Wanabee Quiltin 12-25-2012 04:05 PM

A few months I posted that I had just found out that Tom Cruise was playing Jack Reacher and how appalled I was at this choice by Lee Childs. I was very surprised at the feedback because I didn't know that there were so many of us who loved Jack Reacher. I have made up my mind to not go and see this movie. I have in my mind an image of Jack Reacher that I do not want Tom Cruise to ruin. Years ago I read this fabulous book (no clue now about who wrote it) and they made a movie out of the book. I went to see the movie which was a big mistake, because now I remember the movie more than the book and it wasn't as good. So I, for one, am not going to any of Tom Cruise's movies where he plays Jack Reacher. I have tried to complain to Lee Childs but can't get on his website. Oh well, I doubt he would listen to me !!

emmy 12-25-2012 04:57 PM

I have read all his books and can't picture Cruise as Reacher either. The reviews have noted the physcical difference, but gave the movie good reviews along with Cruise's acting.

nativetexan 12-25-2012 05:39 PM

Reacher character is supposed to be 6 foot 5 inches i believe. Cruise falls way short of that.

dakotamaid 12-25-2012 06:36 PM

I saw it the other night with my daughter. Cruise does not, IMHO, fit the Jack Reacher character at all!!!! I've read every book with him as the main character and feel like I "know" him. :)

ube quilting 12-25-2012 06:38 PM

My DH is really disappointed that T.C. is playing this role. He read all the books. When he discribed J.R. to me my first thought was Dwayn Johnson( THE ROCK). He has the size and ability to pull this character off with great appeal.
My 2nd choice would be Liev Shriber. Not so much bulk but very good actor and has played parts like this.

I hope the movie is better than we may think with T.C. in the lead.

cathyvv 12-25-2012 06:39 PM

NO, NO, No! I like the Jack Reacher books - great, entertaining, fast, action-packed fiction - a good read. Tom Cruise is not anywhere near what I imagine Jack Reacher as looking like or being like. I probably won't see the movie because it will ruin my image of Jack Reacher!

auntpiggylpn 12-25-2012 06:47 PM

I don't have any clue who Jack Reacher is but I have boycotted Tom Cruise movies ever since he acted like such a pompous a** when interviewed by Matt Lauer years ago. This is a man who obviously has some deep seeded issues that he refuses to acknowledge.

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 12-25-2012 07:03 PM

I like Tom Cruise and I like Jack Reacher, but I can't see Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher. The other one that is bothering me right now is Tyler Perry as Alex Cross. I don't get that one either.

0tis 12-25-2012 07:09 PM

I just cannot see Tom Cruise playing Jack Reacher - I have read every book with Reacher - he is specifically described as 6'5" 220lbs with hands as large as "dinner plates" - Reacher always stands out in a crowd because he is so big and he is a man of few words - yet he takes no nonesense. I really don't see Tom Cruise pulling this one off - and I am very disappointed that he is playing this role. I am considering not seeing the movie because of this.