Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Jack Reacher (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/jack-reacher-t209244.html)

Deb watkins 12-27-2012 07:13 AM

I am in agreement. Having read all of the Jack Reacher books, TC was an extremely poor choice of actor. That being said, I also will boycott the movie.

alwayslearning 12-27-2012 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by Wanabee Quiltin (Post 5740258)
A few months I posted that I had just found out that Tom Cruise was playing Jack Reacher and how appalled I was at this choice by Lee Childs. I was very surprised at the feedback because I didn't know that there were so many of us who loved Jack Reacher. I have made up my mind to not go and see this movie. I have in my mind an image of Jack Reacher that I do not want Tom Cruise to ruin. Years ago I read this fabulous book (no clue now about who wrote it) and they made a movie out of the book. I went to see the movie which was a big mistake, because now I remember the movie more than the book and it wasn't as good. So I, for one, am not going to any of Tom Cruise's movies where he plays Jack Reacher. I have tried to complain to Lee Childs but can't get on his website. Oh well, I doubt he would listen to me !!

Write to him via his publisher. He will get it.

SunlitenSmiles 12-27-2012 07:51 AM

IMHO the only way this movie could work with TC is if the remainder of the cast was vertically challenged....even then it would be the best acting of his career if he could play a caring individual. TC's whole persona in 180 degrees from Jack Reacher.

seriously doubt that Lee Childs had any say in the casting....like Janet Evanovitch - Stephanie Plum - once the movie rights are sold the author has very little say in casting, final scrip and filming. IMHO a sad state of movie making.....

luci4 12-27-2012 08:03 AM

I have read all the Jack Reacher books, and really like them. I will NOT see the movie.

Stitchit123 12-27-2012 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Wanabee Quiltin (Post 5740258)
A few months I posted that I had just found out that Tom Cruise was playing Jack Reacher and how appalled I was at this choice by Lee Childs. I was very surprised at the feedback because I didn't know that there were so many of us who loved Jack Reacher. I have made up my mind to not go and see this movie. I have in my mind an image of Jack Reacher that I do not want Tom Cruise to ruin. Years ago I read this fabulous book (no clue now about who wrote it) and they made a movie out of the book. I went to see the movie which was a big mistake, because now I remember the movie more than the book and it wasn't as good. So I, for one, am not going to any of Tom Cruise's movies where he plays Jack Reacher. I have tried to complain to Lee Childs but can't get on his website. Oh well, I doubt he would listen to me !!

I avoid any and every thing Tom Cruise is in as well as that Pitt fella they both give me the heebie-jeebies

MaggieLou 12-27-2012 08:48 AM

I can't see TC as Reacher either. I've read all the books and he just doesn't cut it as Reacher. Although all the reviews say he does a great job. I'm reserving judgement until I see the movie. I can picture my DH better as Reacher. He is 6'5" and about 270 lbs. He's also former law enforcement. He's my Jack Reacher.

catmcclure 12-27-2012 10:04 AM

Since it opened to a very low gross - beat out by the Hobbit - I don't think many Lee Child fans want to see a pretty mini-Jack. There are a lot of 6'5" actors: Vince Vaughn, John Corbett (Northern Exposure), Neil Flynn (Scrubs), Joe Manganiello (Spiderman), Peter Hermann (L&O SVU) even speaks 4 languages.

crewsin 12-27-2012 10:41 AM

I was appalled when they announced Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher. We have discussed for years who would be good in the part, since we have read all of the books. I thought Tom Selleck or Liam Neeson. I told my husband I didn't want to go because it just wouldn't be "Jack Reacher". He really wanted to go, so we went with the idea in mind that it wouldn't be the same Jack Reacher that we have read about for years. I have to tell you--we both loved it. No, he didn't fit the attributes that are described in the books, but it was a good action movie. Go see it.

JanieH 12-27-2012 11:40 AM

I haven'tread the books but do like Tom Cruise so I will probably go see the movie. I read an interview with Lee Child who said TC was not his first choice but after he saw the movie, he did approve of him. So often the video depiction of books really changes them; for instance, Temperance Brennan, aka "Bones" is nothing like her counterpart in the books by Kathy Reichs. I think that was what was so amazing about the Harry Potter movies; the characters really looked liked the descriptions in the books and I loved that they stayed the course for all of the movies!

katykwilt 12-27-2012 11:47 AM

Don't think Tom is a good fit either -- smiled when I saw the comment about his height. You know, I don't think that there are that many really tall actors, especially ones that would fit this role.