Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Red Glasses for quilting great tool >

Red Glasses for quilting great tool

Red Glasses for quilting great tool

Old 04-08-2014, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I think they are worth $20 but I bought the glasses when they were a daily deal at Missouri Star Quilt Co. The color film works but the glasses make it easier, both hands are free. I really like how I can see my whole quilt top when I have the blocks laid out to see contrast. Also I use a peep hole to look at my quilt top and I can see the whole quilt in black and white with the glasses on. They fit over my regular glasses and are very lightweight. I'm glad I bought them. I bought extra for some of my quilt buddies. I knew they would want to use mine when we go fabric shopping! They love them. We look a sight in a fabric store together.
I am picturing you and your friends in a fabric store with a smile on my face and a chuckle in my mind. What fun you must have!
Old 04-08-2014, 10:39 AM

I like the hands free too. Its fun to see ladies with the glasses on in the store.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:45 AM

i have a 8by8 piece of red plastic used in an art class. The red really does work in viewing lights and darks, I would buy glasses if I saw them for sale. Maybe I will.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:53 AM
Power Poster

I have some of the 3D glasses, some all red, some red and blue and the new type are smoky looking lenses. Seems the grands leave all that stuff here. LOL. They don't work like the Red Glasses at all when looking at fabric.
Old 04-08-2014, 01:48 PM

Do any of you remember when water color quilts were so very popular....they sold an item then called "the Ruby Beholder"....i never got one....i used a red butterfly sun catcher that hangs in my kitchen window !!! Still do when i want to judge contrast !!!
Old 04-08-2014, 02:11 PM

Do you mind me asking for some of the principles of value. I don't understand what you should be achieving with the glasses. Same number of each value (light, medium, dark) in a quilt. Should each value be next to eAch other in a quilt or should they be mixed up? Thanks in advance for the explanation.
Old 04-08-2014, 02:19 PM

I have some red plastic stuff, and I use it when I am trying to arrange fabric for a Bargello quilt...where I want 8 or 12 shades of one color, from light to dark. It really helps, as does taking a black and white picture. I am not sure how else they would be used. Something similar, probably. It amazes me how I can one shade is darker than another and then when I look through the red or at a photo that it is obvious I am wrong.

Dina
Old 04-08-2014, 02:52 PM

A vendor at the Mountain Quiltfest was selling the red glasses. She also said they were good for identifying truly dead spots of your lawn. Multi-purpose!
Old 04-08-2014, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Maureen NJ View Post
Do you mind me asking for some of the principles of value. I don't understand what you should be achieving with the glasses. Same number of each value (light, medium, dark) in a quilt. Should each value be next to eAch other in a quilt or should they be mixed up? Thanks in advance for the explanation.
The glasses help you to determine what a fabric's value is. It can work either way: you may be working on a quilt pattern which looks best with distinctively different values in the pieces (usually that's what you have), or you may be working on a quilt pattern which looks best with fabrics of equal values in the pieces. Either way, sometimes it's confusing and difficult to tell for sure what the value is with a particular fabric. The glasses help you to see the true value. Another thing which works is to lay pieces of the different fabrics out on the glass of a copier and make a black and white copy. Removing the colors, and seeing them all in black, white and shades of grey clarifies values, too.
Old 04-08-2014, 04:21 PM
Power Poster

I have been amazed how many times two fabric I thought were contrasting they were not at all and two fabrics I thought were the same value were not after looking at them through red lens.