Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Struggles with Stripes >

Struggles with Stripes

Struggles with Stripes

Old 09-13-2014, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by Krystyna View Post
The original reason I went in search of tips on working with stripes is that I am making a throw for my sofa -- using what's in my stash. I had enough for some blocks but felt they needed sashing and the fabric I have, while patterned in curlicues and dots is, nonetheless, striped! I decided it would look best on the diagonal. After looking at a zillion sites that essentially offered tips for cutting on the diagonal for binding, I devised my own method and that has worked out well. Aware of the potential for stretching, I decided to starch well before I cut and that helped. Sewing to the blocks was another matter. More than once I was horrified to see that the sashing slipped away so I was only sewing the block! Lots of time with my seam ripper. In the end, it will be just fine. Not meant to be entered into a show, just to keep me cozy.
SO Krystyna ....where is the picture of your quilt????? thanks for the link!
Old 09-13-2014, 08:33 AM

Thanks for posting the link. Excellent resource and inspiration, and your right, really interesting. Bookmarked this one.
Old 09-13-2014, 11:07 AM
Swap Hosts

Originally Posted by RN-Quilter View Post
SO Krystyna ....where is the picture of your quilt????? thanks for the link!
Ha! Still stitching and ripping and stitching some more!
Old 09-13-2014, 11:36 AM

I like the article. I took a color class from Christine Barnes several years ago and she loves stripes. After her class, I was less afraid of stripes.
Old 09-13-2014, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Krystyna View Post
Ha! Still stitching and ripping and stitching some more!
For so many of us quilters, our most used, but sometimes least favorite quilting tool, is a really good ripper. I use mine a lot. Part of my problem is that I want good points, straight seams and matching corners. Don't always get all three without some ripping.

Just a thought. Joan's and Hancock's have stabilizers that are typically used in clothes that would probably work when using fabric on the bias for a sashing or border. This will prevent any stretching even after washing. Ask them about soft, pliable stabilizers that you could iron on and leave on. I've never used the bias other than as my binding and it's too small too matter. If you don't have a backing on the bias piece, you will probably want to do a good bit of stitching to make sure that bias border doesn't stretch out of shape when it is washed. Once the starch isn't there to support it, the weight of the rest of the quilt may pull it out of shape. The quilting stitches will hold it.

I am looking forward to seeing this beauty too. I like seeing fabrics used a different way.
Old 09-13-2014, 12:45 PM
Swap Hosts

Barb, stabilizer is exactly what I saw recommended, but it was just tooooo much work for this lazy lady! Especially for a little sofa throw made from bits and pieces that were in the right color palate -- turquoise and light blue with browns. Now to see if it's large enough for the sofa. There certainly is merit in using a pattern and planning ahead! I'll have to try that one of these days!
Old 09-13-2014, 01:32 PM
Swap Hosts

OK. Here's the top. Will probably add a border in brown. Maybe not. Looking at it, it's too blue ... but as I said, it's just a throw. Stripes not too interesting, but on the plus side, a pile of fabric used up and that's always a good thing!

Attached Thumbnails lr-throw-1.jpg   lr-throw-2.jpg   lr-throw-3.jpg  
Old 09-13-2014, 01:46 PM
Power Poster

it works. The sriped fabric is a njce counterpoint to the other fabrics.
Old 09-13-2014, 07:58 PM

Beautiful quilt and I love the stripes.
Old 09-13-2014, 08:16 PM

The stripes definitely add to the quilt! Good choice!