Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Links and Resources
Trying to find quilt shops - help!? >

Trying to find quilt shops - help!?

Trying to find quilt shops - help!?

Old 11-25-2014, 12:07 PM

Default Trying to find quilt shops - help!?

I am frustrated trying to find quilt shops for when I visit my daughter over the holidays. I can not find anything that is accurate enough to use. I spend hours and find most shops are closed. Many are even I know exist are not even there.

I have tried:
Has anyone found anything accurate enough you can count on?
Old 11-25-2014, 12:11 PM
Power Poster

Try the chamber of commerce in her city or near by. Does she have a phone book she can look up for you?
Old 11-25-2014, 12:54 PM

For great tips, put a post in the main section asking! Before anyone gets their panties in a bunch, let me add disclaimers: Don't give an exact address, for yourself or for her and don't give dates you are traveling.

But if you start a thread - something like, "Looking for Quilt Shops in Finger Lakes," or "Quilt shops north of Philadelphia," I can give you some info... So change it to be for the area you are looking for. Also - if you are traveling by car and have time for stopping along the way, post "Quilt shops near Route 81 between Syracuse and Philadelphia."

You'll get more complete information than any online or printed list - plus personal reviews!
Old 11-25-2014, 01:46 PM
Power Poster

I have Google the name of a town with a search of quilt shops and have found that Google has been accurate.
Old 11-25-2014, 01:52 PM

The Country Register is a free publication that advertises quilt shops, antique shops, etc. If there is an issue available for the state where your daughter lives, all of the shops in the paper should still be in business.

http://www.countryregister.com/crpublishers.html

Click on the state for that areas current issue online
Old 11-25-2014, 01:58 PM

I can second the Country Register, it was vital on a Shop Hop of Florida. It has not all the current shops but many. I then check thru the internet. The best bet is to call the shops by phone. It's lucky to have unlimited calling on your cell. No one removes anything from the internet but if the phone has been discontinued, it's a safe bet. They're gone.
Old 11-26-2014, 12:23 AM

I hope you have Good Luck finding a Quilt Shop to visit, with your daughter. Happy Holidays!!
Old 11-26-2014, 03:11 AM

Once you find names of shops, verify their existence by visiting their website or look for them on Facebook.of course, call their phone number . Unless a shop notifies the online lists to update their existance (closing), they stay on the list.
Sandy
Old 11-26-2014, 03:26 AM

I travel a lot and quilt shops are often part of my adventure. I use yellow pages, YP app on my smart phone, Country Register, google. I call ahead to verify that they are still in business and their hours and get any directions I need such as where to park, landmarks (in the strip mall behind Target...) I have a lot of fun doing this.
Old 11-26-2014, 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by Claire Scott View Post
I am frustrated trying to find quilt shops for when I visit my daughter over the holidays. I can not find anything that is accurate enough to use. I spend hours and find most shops are closed. Many are even I know exist are not even there.

I have tried:
Has anyone found anything accurate enough you can count on?
Before I go anywhere, I do a Google search of the city and "quilt". All kinds of good things pop up. I have had really good luck with that. Sometimes I use the online yellow pages for the town and then search under "quilt" or "fabric." I've had luck searching in Utah, Nev., Colo, Wyo, Hawaii and CA. If I don't get a map, I do print out the address and phone no. When I get into a town, I sometimes call them and ask them how to get to their store. Good luck in your search and have fun shopping.