Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: "sharing" patterns ok?

What exactly is the rule about sharing patterns? For instance, if I have a magazine, and another member would like a pattern from that magazine, can I photocopy it (or scan it) and send it? Is that violating some copyright law? I initially thought that was ok, but now I'm not sure. I looked in American Patchwork and Quilting, and did not see any verbage on the subject, but perhaps I missed it.
    Don't want to do anything wrong, while trying to help out a fellow quilter.
    Thanks!

Blog Entries
    Only the person with physical custody of the magazine can use the pattern. It violates the copyright law to make copies of any kind and share them :D:D:D

Quote Originally Posted by sarge1
    What exactly is the rule about sharing patterns? For instance, if I have a magazine, and another member would like a pattern from that magazine, can I photocopy it (or scan it) and send it? Is that violating some copyright law? I initially thought that was ok, but now I'm not sure. I looked in American Patchwork and Quilting, and did not see any verbage on the subject, but perhaps I missed it.
    Don't want to do anything wrong, while trying to help out a fellow quilter.
    Thanks!
    No, you can't copy and or scan(same thing)...it's a violation of copywrites. Whoever it is needs to buy the pattern or magazine themselves.

not a copy.

I have borrowed the magazine to some person and gotten it back Ok. Just a thought.

you can lend someone the magazine or you can pull out the pages of the pattern and give them the actual if you don't make copies.

There are so many "free patterns" online, like Bonnie Hunter's Quiltville--so many of hers with tutorials! She has how you can use them on the website.

What a good point smtp5, there are tons of free online patterns and tutorials. We have such a giving creative community out there. But do respect the property of others. Copying is never okay unless the author says so. Ask permission if you're ever unsure. It's the polite (and legal) thing to do.

Banned
    never ever copy it violates peoples hard work designing patterns. if you dont believe me try making one of your own

How about all the people on ebay selling pages out of magazines....How do they get away with it??

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast