Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Eastern AR - Sharing my quilting, sharing life >

Eastern AR - Sharing my quilting, sharing life

Eastern AR - Sharing my quilting, sharing life

Old 03-23-2008, 07:33 PM

I have enjoyed quilting for over 25 years though there is never enough time to quilt as much as I would like :wink:
My initial reason for joining this forum is to solicit input for preserving hand embroidered blocks that will be put in to a baby quilt. I do not spend much time conversing on my computer, mostly I MSN with my eldest daughter six hours away. Three granddaughters that far away is so difficult - 5, 4, and 2 1/2.
I would greatly appreciate input about preserving these blocks for a new quilter. My concern is how time is unfair to hand embroidery, I desire to stabilize/preserve the stitching. The blocks were embroidered by her recently deceased grandmother, she would like to make a baby quilt for her unborn nephew using these blocks that were being embroidered for an unknown project for her brother and his wife.
If I can of any help to anyone here it would be my sincere pleasure.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:48 PM

Welcome! When I've used antique doilies and hankies in quilts, I use a light iron-on interfacing on the back. It stabilizes the weave, the handwork, and secures knots from ever coming out in the wash. Anything with the old stuff gets washed on gentle, never in hot water. Depending on the age of the handwork, vegetable dyes are not nearly as stable as today's.
Old 03-24-2008, 01:59 AM

I'm glad, but not surprised that Moonpi could help you, and that you found us! Hope you come back and even post a picture of that baby quilt when it's completed!
Old 03-24-2008, 09:40 AM

Thank you so much for responding. Moonpi confirmed my thoughts on preserving the embroidery work. I do not think the blocks are that old but because it is hand embroidery and a very basic stitch I didn't want them to be disappointed . I believe that anything that is worth doing is worth doing well.

Thank you so much, and yes, I will return.

Have a great day!
Old 03-25-2008, 11:50 AM

Thank you for your input and concern. I would imagine that the recipients of the quilt will make that determination. However, knowing them they will probably not use it as they would a regular baby quilt.

Thank you again.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:25 AM

Welcome! :)