Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: 1 1/2" Binding question

Blog Entries

1 1/2" Binding question

I have a pattern for a small wall hanging that is saying to use a 1 1/2 " binding. Would I still use a 1/4" seam allowance? Seems like that might be a bit big.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by raksmum View Post
    I have a pattern for a small wall hanging that is saying to use a 1 1/2 " binding. Would I still use a 1/4" seam allowance? Seems like that might be a bit big.
    Unless the pattern says differently, use the 1/4 seam allowance. Your binding should be folded in1/2 lengthwise, then sew it on the top of the quilt, matching raw edges. Then, fold it over the edge to the back and sew it down on the back. Your finished binding would be 1/4".

My guess is they meant a single fold binding.

often for small projects the binding is narrow- i would use the 1/4" seam & double fold unless directed to use single...it means you will have a 1/4" binding which is perfect for smaller projects- wider may take away from the over-all project---seem like a wide, border design element. i prefer narrow bindings & often use that size or 1 3/4"...i like them to just bind the quilt-not be part of the overall design.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I use a 1 1/2 inch binding but I sew it on with a 5/8 seam and I check to see if the binding on the back is the same size as on the front if it needs ajusting I adjust the seam allowance. There are no rules for the seam allowance it depends on what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by quilticing View Post
    My guess is they meant a single fold binding.
    That would be my thought. Since its a wall hanging it will not have the use or friction against the binding to wear it out. So a single fold would be sufficeint.

Blog Entries
    Thanks everyone! It's always nice to know you can post a question and have great members help out! Much appreciated!