Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: 10" finished 9 patch block. Help!

10" finished 9 patch block. Help!

Hi all,
    I have some cute snowflake fabric that I am cutting the snowflakes out of and they come out as 10" squares (maybe 10.5, if I work it right.) So if I have 10.5 inch squares they would finish as 10 inch squares, right? Or if I cut them 10" they would finish as 9.5". So what size strips do I cut to make 9 patches for inbetween them that finish either 9.5' or 10" 9 patch blocks? I am terrible at figuring out the math and I really don't want to ruin this expensive fabric I bought so if anyone could help me I would really appreciate it. Thank you.
    Skeeter-Bug

Power Poster
    If you cut nine squares that are 3.5 inches square and sew them together with 0.25 inch seams - that should end up being a 9.5 inch unit. This unit would 'finish' to 9 inches.

If you cut nine squares that are 4.0 inches square and sew them together with 0.25 inch seams, that should end up being an 11.0 inch unit. This unit would 'finish' to 10.5 inches.

Did this answer your question?

Making a 10 inch 'finished size' block using equal sized squares (assuming 1/4 inch seams) for the 9-patch would use squares that were 3-2/3 inches square. (3.67 inches) Most rulers using inches don't have 1/3s marked on them.

A nine patch is usually thought of as having the same size squares in it - but they don't have to be the same size.

There was one author that suggested making the units with the small pieces first, and then cutting the bigger pieces to match/fit.
    Last edited by bearisgray; 09-30-2012 at 07:28 AM.

A 9 patch needs to be divisible by 3. 10 divided by 3 doesn't come out to an even number. Make your other blocks finish at 9 inches and the 9 patch blocks are simple.

This is just me thinking out loud, but I would probably do a four patch instead of a nine patch just to make it easier to get them to be ten inches finished and all the same size. The pieces would be 5.5 each.

This site not only offers a free donation quilt kit, it has a great tutorial for making 4-Patch quilts.

http://www.makeit-loveit.com/2012/05...tch-quilt.html
    ~~ Butterflies can't see their wings.
    They can't see how truly beautiful they are,
    but everyone else can. People are kinda like that. ~~

or make a 12" 9-patch and cut it down to 10" on an angle so that it is skewed. Don't know if you can understand what I mean--the right words seem to have gotten lost

Quote Originally Posted by Phoppe View Post
    Hi all,
    I have some cute snowflake fabric that I am cutting the snowflakes out of and they come out as 10" squares (maybe 10.5, if I work it right.) So if I have 10.5 inch squares they would finish as 10 inch squares, right? Or if I cut them 10" they would finish as 9.5". So what size strips do I cut to make 9 patches for inbetween them that finish either 9.5' or 10" 9 patch blocks? I am terrible at figuring out the math and I really don't want to ruin this expensive fabric I bought so if anyone could help me I would really appreciate it. Thank you.
    Make it easy on yourself and make your 9 patch squares finish at 3" (cut 3.5), for finished block of 9". If at all possible, never use 1/3" or 1/6".
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E