Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 100 Year Old Redwork

I'm with Lisa on the colour catcher. Hand washing is a good idea too. Not sure I would use spray glue, but then it's hard to see how fragile the material is...maybe hand basting on a white muslin back with a largish stitch?

Well done on taking up the challenge, this is a really beautiful piece of work. Keep us posted.

Personally, I wouldn't finish it - I'd have it blocked and framed and put it on the biggest wall I could find..what a piece of artwork that is.....and in it's original condition...

That's beautiful too!
    What treasures you are getting!
    I'd clean it as delicately as possible and then maybe take it to a framing place and have it framed. Too pretty to finish and let it be used.

I would suggest NOT to use spray glue. I don't think its been in use long enough to know exactly what it will do to fabric especially very delicate ones

Blog Entries
    I would not wash it until you finish it. I would use a layer of white flannel (wash the flannel) between the batting and the backing. I would use muslin for the backing too. It is a beautiful piece of work.

Blog Entries
    Such a beautiful redwork piece!!! It is stunning :D:D:D
    I would hesitate to use basting spray, it could make the color run, and possibly set it. I would be more tempted to quilt it as is, and then gently wash it using color catchers and maybe Retayne or another product. If the seams are off now, they could further distort and quilting may help keep them in line. Just my 2 cents worth :wink:

Lordy isn't that an awesome gift!! I've no suggestions except that I hoped You immediately thanked God for such a precious gift. Love the pictures, please allow us to see it once again once you've completed it.

That is very beautiful and what a precious family heirloom. Maybe you could find an antique quilt dealer/preservationist on line or in the phone book that could advise you this endeavor. it would be a shame to harm it instead of preserving it.

Think I would have to frame it behind dust protecting glass, and hang as is. If I were going to finish, would have to lightly hand quilt it, to stay with the age of it. Beautiful work.

Oh My Goodness!!! How nice!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast