Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
4 patch posies - a couple of questions >

4 patch posies - a couple of questions

4 patch posies - a couple of questions

Old 12-19-2011, 09:08 PM

Default 4 patch posies - a couple of questions

I'm getting ready to do my first 4 patch posy quilt. I get the basic idea - simple enough. I've been reading on the board for the finer tricks and techniques. I looked at the tutorial here: http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...77007599TQgimL. She recommends taking your fabric and cutting along the fold line before doing anything with repeats and squares - does everyone else do that? I hadn't heard of that before, so I thought I should ask.

Then for a lot of the finished ones I've seen, they have really dainty sashing around the blocks: http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...es-t84394.html. Is there a trick to make those tiny block borders?? I know some, like make the borders bigger and trim down... just wondering if 4 patch has a trick since those borders are so common and always look amazing.

Thanks!
Old 12-19-2011, 09:11 PM
Banned

careful cutting and sewing for the small sashing
Old 12-19-2011, 09:18 PM
Banned

If I were u I would find another tutorial. The fabric on the one you site is so busy I can't see what the demo is doing.
The busy fabric makes it confusing for me. I imagine she suggests cutting the fabric down the fold is for convenience and ease of cutting. However, that would depend on the size of your squares. I would not do it as it may waste fabric. I didn't read all the instructions but that suggests her squares are about 11" or so = the size so you can get 2 across the 1/2 width of the fabric. But find another tutorial.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by LucyInTheSky View Post
I'm getting ready to do my first 4 patch posy quilt. I get the basic idea - simple enough. I've been reading on the board for the finer tricks and techniques. I looked at the tutorial here: http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...77007599TQgimL. She recommends taking your fabric and cutting along the fold line before doing anything with repeats and squares - does everyone else do that? I hadn't heard of that before, so I thought I should ask.

Then for a lot of the finished ones I've seen, they have really dainty sashing around the blocks: http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...es-t84394.html. Is there a trick to make those tiny block borders?? I know some, like make the borders bigger and trim down... just wondering if 4 patch has a trick since those borders are so common and always look amazing.

Thanks!
It's a whole lot easier to work with just one layer so cut your fabric down the fold line and just work with one half at a time. The block borders and sashing can be done a couple of different ways. Basically after you have the posies done you can border and sash them however you want.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:42 PM

Don't have any tips - I have done one and loved it. Want to do another one. The thin sashing was a little tricky - but with being very careful. Mine looks nice.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:43 PM
Power Poster

ITA with Holice .... cutting it down the centre would give you less fabric to work with at a time, though would waste more fabric. I did mine for both the 4PP and OBW as the full width. It's really not that hard to handle, so I'd suggest leaving it all in one.

I haven't looked at the video .... Holice mentioned the blocks are 11". I'm thinking that they must then be cut with an X to make four sets of triangles to piece for each posey. I did mine all in squares and cut my squares at 2-1/2", so each of my poseys finish at only 4". You can choose your size according to your fabric print size.

4PP is a fun project ... and oh so addictive ... Good Luck!
Old 12-19-2011, 09:43 PM

Yep, the reason you cut down the fold is because it's easier to work with. You cant accurately line up the repeats unless it's laid out flat, and 45" across is quite the piece of fabric to spread out and work with. 4 patch posies are a lot of fun, and the fabric does most the work for you. My dd and one of her friends made 4pp blocks at 6 years old. My dd set them with solid squares and her friend shashed them. Beware though!!!! Stack & Whack and OBW are addictive - you will never look at fabric the same again
Old 12-19-2011, 11:55 PM

I know that Bethany Reynolds cuts the fabric down the middle for her Stack-n-Whack method. I did that for the one I made, but when I made a 4-patch kaleidoscope by Quilting Moments, I used the whole width.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:04 AM

On the border of your fabric is the name of the manufacturer, and maybe also color codes. The repeat of the pattern on the fabric is always where the writing begins. You'll see that when you look at the fabric and block out each section where the writing begins.
Old 12-20-2011, 03:15 AM
Power Poster

I thought that the other half of the material was for the borders so people can see the difference.