Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
4 patch posies - a couple of questions >

4 patch posies - a couple of questions

4 patch posies - a couple of questions

Old 12-20-2011, 03:37 AM

When I did my stack and whack class, we cut the fabric in half lengthwise to use one half for the borders to feature the original fabric as SueDor says. I liked the look, and it also made it easier to explain the technique to others who were non-quilters, and interested enough to ask.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by SueDor View Post
I thought that the other half of the material was for the borders so people can see the difference.
I had read that somewhere. I didn't know that's how I was suggested to cut, so I did my calculations with full WOF for the posies and then added yardage for the border (and then added more yardage to be on the safe side)
Old 12-20-2011, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by SueDor View Post
I thought that the other half of the material was for the borders so people can see the difference.
I used both of my halves for the blocks. Since it's only four repeats of the fabric length one half doesn't make all that many blocks. For the second half jog your repeats over by an inch or so and you'll get a whole different set of blocks the second time.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:53 AM
Power Poster

I bought a pattern for my Stacked Posie Supreme, which is an even more complicated version of 4PP. The pattern is from HD Designs and can be found here - http://www.ericas.com/quilting/patterns/misc.htm I found that it was easy to follow this pattern.

Here is my quilt - http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...me-t20452.html
Old 12-20-2011, 09:00 AM
Power Poster

It sounds like if you want a large border of the original fabric on the quilt, then reserve half of the fabric length for that (cut on fold). If you just want to do the blocks then figure out how big you want them to be first. In my 4PP I wanted bigger blocks and they ended needing more than to the fabric crease. Some people cut the repeated squares into 4 square pieces and some do 4 triangle pieces cutting the original squares from corner to corner. I did the 4 square pieces for my first one because I don't like bias edges. It's a very fun quilt to do and you can sash it or not sash it, it's up to you. I am putting plain blocks betwwen mine for some red work embroidery. I hope to have it done for my sister's birthday in September. Good luck!
Old 12-20-2011, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
I bought a pattern for my Stacked Posie Supreme, which is an even more complicated version of 4PP. The pattern is from HD Designs and can be found here - http://www.ericas.com/quilting/patterns/misc.htm I found that it was easy to follow this pattern.

Here is my quilt - http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...me-t20452.html
That is breath taking. Very well done.
Old 12-20-2011, 03:43 PM

I would suggest you buy the pattern for the 4 Patch Posies and then use the tutorials to supplement the pattern. I often see tutorials online for patterns that have been printed. We need to support those who make new patterns for us.