Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
4H clubs? >

4H clubs?

4H clubs?

Old 03-09-2014, 02:30 PM

Default 4H clubs?

The Home Ec thread prompted me to ask about 4H. I never joined as a kid and don't know much about it. Do any of you have your children enrolled in 4H? My daughter Olivia is 10, we're just learning to sew together ( I think she's doing great) and Olivia's teacher recommended enrolling her in 4H. I'm just looking for any information and opinions you have.
Thanks,
Rodney
Old 03-09-2014, 02:51 PM
Power Poster

4-H was a big part of my and my childrens' lives. The number of clubs that can be available is wonderful (agricultural and lifeskills) As with any organization and/or class the leadership is an important part of how much is learned or taken away. The 4-H program starts with a national and then a provincial/state and then a county or region committee. Check the internet to determine what clubs are available in your local area. If you feel comfortable teaching your daughter to sew then perhaps you too would enjoy being a future club leader.
Old 03-09-2014, 03:38 PM

4H can be a good opportunity for kids. I would recommend 4H to anyone.

Some groups are better than others, depending on the number of kids are in the group and the leaders.

My oldest really had a good experience. He learned to try to do something new. Then he had to "show" his project. Which to me was the best. Because the judges asked him questions and he had to explain ... that helped to pull him out of his shell and gain confidence. He was always shy and this really helped him. Especially when he won he Showmanship Award.... because he really knew his stuff and how to explain it.
Old 03-09-2014, 03:42 PM

I was in 4H when I was young. Sewing was in the winter and my instructor was a high school girl that was very good. She did it one on one and it was a wonderful introduction to sewing. One of my friends is a teacher for several things for 4H.
Old 03-09-2014, 03:46 PM

My daughter was in 4-H & had very positive experiences. At one point we could not find an Art 4-G Group, so we formed
our own with me as her leader & since we could find no others interested, it was just her in my "Group".
My granddaughter was in 4-H fourth through 12th grades in cooking, art, photography, canning, rabbits & other
miscellaneous entries. Excellent leadership, many awards, all great experiences.
Old 03-09-2014, 03:54 PM

Hi! I see on your profile that you are in Centralia Washington. I checked and see that is in Lewis County. Then I searched Washington Extension Service on Google. Then I clicked on locations and found the website for your county's Extension Office. There I found the name of the Extension agent in charge of Lewis County's 4-H program as well as contact information. Internet is great!

I heartily recommend 4-H as a learning and knowledge building organization for youth it teaches life skills as well as project knowledge. I work in my local Extension office and have thoroughly enjoyed working with "my" kids for 30 years now. I will send you the contact info I found by PM.
Old 03-09-2014, 04:15 PM

Go 4-H! I was a 4-H'er growing up and a leader for over 20 years. Great organization, prompts, learning, respect for self and others, and community service, Check with your local county extension office. They can point you in the right direction to find a club you may want to join. If you can not find one with your interest you can start your own. 4-H has all the educational resources you as a leader, or member need.
Old 03-09-2014, 04:29 PM

I was in 4-H growing up and had the best time! I learned independence, public speaking, and my love for sewing, which here I still am doing 45 yrs later.

I will agree, it's totally about the leader and I was beyond lucky to have a great set of leaders.

I was in Brownies one year and then 4-H. Loved 4-h so much better!
Old 03-09-2014, 04:33 PM

I learned how to sew in 4-H and learned so much there. It was a good foundation for learning, leadership, friendship. I definitely recommend it.
Old 03-09-2014, 05:04 PM

Looks like it's a good thing, not a single negative experience. I'll try calling my extension agent tomorrow and see what she has to say. I'm hoping there is an active sewing group. So far our learning has been thru here, youtube videos and books. The learning curve can be steep when your "instructor" has to learn a technique too. Live instruction from someone experienced would be good.
Thanks,
Rodney