Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thread for Big Stitch Hand Quilting Question >

Thread for Big Stitch Hand Quilting Question

Thread for Big Stitch Hand Quilting Question

Old 03-21-2014, 03:33 PM

Default Thread for Big Stitch Hand Quilting Question

I am getting ready to hand quilt a shadow box quilt and want to try the "big stitch" method. I have crochet thread to use, but I also found a spool of upholstery thread that feels like the right weight to me. I am looking for opinions as to its suitability and opinions about other possibilities of thread for this project.

BTW, I am considering using a wool batt for this quilt.

Thanks!
Old 03-21-2014, 03:53 PM
Power Poster

Crochet cotton isn't really very strong. I think the upholstery or buttonhole thread would be better.
Old 03-21-2014, 04:01 PM

Perle cotton. Good site http://annamariahorner.blogspot.com/2010/03/stitch.html
Old 03-21-2014, 06:29 PM

Can't say for sure, but mostly I've heard the pearle cotton for that application. Generally available at most craft stores (JoAnns; Michaels; the like).
Old 03-21-2014, 10:34 PM

i recently did some hand quilting with perle cotton.

if you are a handquilter, you are probably going to find it difficult to adjust your stitch length. my perle cotton stitches ended up being pretty close to my hand quilting stitch length. the body just remembers.

i also had a hell of a time with needles. perle cotton is thicker, but you need a nice sharp needle. the combination of a larger eye and a sharp point meant a longer needle, which was pretty hard to get used to. it didn;t go a whole lot faster, but the stitching is certainly more visible.

needling the newer wool bats is a dream. i love it.

not sure i would use upholstery thread. i think i'd be worried about it tearing my cottons. maybe. not sure. test it out and see how it lies

aileen
Old 03-22-2014, 04:00 AM

This video was helpful to me. http://www.craftsy.com/blog/2013/01/.../?SSAID=389818

I've used the Perle cotton and it's worked beautifully. I have only done the big stitch quilting, so I didn't have to unlearn anything.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:01 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

I do both stitches in handquilting. I use perle cotton balls, crochet thread in 10 wt., 12wt. Sulky cotton thread, and occasionally Sashiko thread if I can find it.

I have only used heavy threads like upholstery thread for sewing on buttons. I still have a spool of black surgical thread I use occasionally for coat buttons, too! That stuff is sturdy, somewhat stiff, glazed, and likely to be around until the end of time! But I'd never use it or upholstery/rug/leather/other similar threads for handquilting because I'd worry about the stitches eventually cutting my fabric.

Wax your cotton threads with bees wax from Joanns and pinch the end of the thread to get it thru the needle. I look for needles with a larger eye, not quilting betweens usually.

Jan in VA
Old 03-22-2014, 01:59 PM

I use perle cotton and a size 22 chenille needle. The chenille needles are short with a large eye. Very easy to use. I like the look of perle cotton better than crochet thread.
Old 03-22-2014, 03:50 PM

Thanks to all of you! I bought some perle cotton today and will try a sample. That Craftsy video was very helpful also.

Dayle
Old 03-24-2014, 06:16 PM

Progress report: I am using the perle cotton, and it looks great! I am working with a quilting hoop instead of a frame, and it is a little awkward, but I will probably get used to it. Right now my only problem is how difficult it is to put the thread through when going through a seam. I will try a small pliers on my next round.

I am using the Hobbs wool batt, and it is wonderful. I pre-soaked it to avoid the crinkled look. It survived that process and dried quickly on the tile floor. It was not difficult to sandwich the quilt.