Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: 5 point star pattern

5 point star pattern

Does anyone know of a 5 point star pattern that is not paper pieces. I searched and found paper pieced patterns but really do not want to make one that way since I do not paper peice. Thanks!
    "In the crazy quilt of life, I'm glad you are in my block of friends."

Last edited by dakotamaid; 06-08-2013 at 06:30 AM.
    Have a great day sewing and remember to "not sweat the small stuff"!!

Buggy Barn has one. There is one in EQ as well. It is at an angle however. You can also cut the paper pieced ones apart and 1/4 inch seam allowance.

This is the one in EQ. If you like this one, PM me.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Betty

A quilt will warm your body and comfort your soul.

http://notesfrommoosehaven.blogspot.com

Because of the weird angles with 5 points, you would probably want to use templates for cutting if you don't want to paper piece.

Dunstar - is correct - you will need to either do templates or PP if you want to control the placement of certain fabrics in your block. However, if you wanted scrappy, you could do what I call the slice and dice method. Stack multiple squares on top of one another, Make your "slices" with a rotary cutter, Then shift the top layer where the background would be to the bottom and Sew them back together. Just another option.....
    Betty

A quilt will warm your body and comfort your soul.

http://notesfrommoosehaven.blogspot.com

You could always do applique for this as well. Fusible applique works quite well with this design because it is fairly easy to machine stitch down with all those straight lines once you have fused it to your background. If you are concerned about stiffness of fusible use Misty fuse or "window" the fusible product before fusing it to your applique fabric.

Blog Entries
    The five pointed star is very easy to PP. Why not try it. There was a time that I didn't PP as well as every other person who now does PPing. You can at least try it on this super simple pattern block. What have you got to loose? You might decide you actually like to do PP.
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

I might try PP. That way I could make star as big as I want. MY DD wants a quilt made with red/white/blue with star in center to use as a picnic blanket. Maybe I can talk her into a common star block with square block in center and flying geese making the 8 points. I cringe at the thought of quilt laying on grass but if
    I make dark backing then you will not see the grass stains! A gift is a gift!!!!! Quilts are made to be used!!!!!
    "In the crazy quilt of life, I'm glad you are in my block of friends."