Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
50/3-ply cotton thread... Is there really a difference between brand names? >

50/3-ply cotton thread... Is there really a difference between brand names?

50/3-ply cotton thread... Is there really a difference between brand names?

Old 11-09-2015, 02:20 PM

I piece with mettler cotton. It runs smoothly through my machines. I use superior and fil-tec on my long arms, so I would imagine they would work for piecing too. The big difference in the big brands is how the thread is wound on the spool, or how it comes off the spool. I know it sounds crazy but it can make a big difference. I would avoid any thread that is sold on a giant cone at a price too good to be true. Also read your spool carefully, make sure it is not a blend. It's like batting, it says cotton but at closer reading it's a poly cotton blend.
Old 11-09-2015, 02:51 PM

Thank you to all who responded. Wow! so much to learn and research. C&C was the only thread readily available so that why I used it. After reading all your comments, and they are very helpful, I think I'm going to try a thread set from CT and then a Try Me Special of a couple of different threads from Superior, Aurfill is also high recommended here so I'm going to order a spool of that too. This is exciting. Different machines like and don't like certain threads, so when I find a thread that works well in my machine and don't have any troubles with it I'll stock up. Thank you all again for your wonderful wisdom and advice!
Old 11-09-2015, 03:38 PM

Asking that question, is likely to get as many answers as there are sewers. But I've gotten excellent results from Aurifil for years and seeing different threads under a microscope, in my mind, solidifies my choice. Equal to none:

http://owensolivia.blogspot.com/2012...icroscope.html
Old 11-09-2015, 04:51 PM

I just spent 33K on a Gammill longarm and they recommended Permacore by A&E. I was using 100% cotton on my old longarm but the Permacore is so nice and it doesn't lint the bobbin all up. I really like it and it's cheaper than King Tut which I was using.
Michelle
Old 11-09-2015, 04:53 PM

The cotton from Connecting Threads is linty, so if you used that you would have to adjust the tension and make sure your needle is suitable. There is a huge difference in threads. Many different threads and posts on here addressing this. This is me, as everyone has differences and favorites, but I prefer polyester thread over cotton for my piecing. It is stronger.Simply google Superior threads, Isacord, Sulky, Aurifil, and evenn Connecting Threads Polyester and also ThreadArt/polyester thread. You will see differences in price, but they are all very good quality for quilting, embroidery, and even everyday sewing. My projects have been proving it for many, many years of sewing. Also, in my honest opinion, I will never ever use C&C thread again. Ever. Not worth the cheap price. I have Brother machines, Babylocks, and have sewn on Kenmore and Singers. Good needles and the good threads are always a given.
Old 11-09-2015, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by ClairVoyantQuilter View Post
Asking that question, is likely to get as many answers as there are sewers. But I've gotten excellent results from Aurifil for years and seeing different threads under a microscope, in my mind, solidifies my choice. Equal to none:

http://owensolivia.blogspot.com/2012...icroscope.html

Thank you!
Old 11-09-2015, 06:36 PM

Sheri, if you PM me your address, I can send you a cone of Aurifil so you can try it. I used it until I tried Superior So Fine, and I now prefer that for both piecing and quilting, but have a few cones of Aurifil left...
Old 11-09-2015, 08:38 PM

Oops...I just noticed that I offered the thread to the wrong person! (Getting close to bedtime...)

Anyway, Ginger's Mom, if you're interested, I'd be more than happy to give you a cone of Aurifil to try...just PM me your address and I'll try to send it to the right person.
Old 11-10-2015, 04:54 AM

My Janome 6600 hates Coates thread. I use Gutterman and Connecting Threads almost exclusively now.
Old 11-10-2015, 01:32 PM

I started with Gutterman, but then someone told me about Aurifil for piecing and I have been using it every since. I have some old Coats and Clark (C&C) that I will used for buttons or a similar repair.

I have tried some other brands for my DM, but Aurifil seem to be my favorite, no matter if it's my 8900, my 221, or my 301. I may have to try the Connecting Threads products, since I have seen a lot of good reviews.

I also prefer to use poly in my LA (Innova), usually Glide or lately, Magnifico/Fantastico as well. I have used cotton, like King Tut or Cairo, and poly wrapped Omni, but find they all tend to be too linty for my liking.