Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
50/3-ply cotton thread... Is there really a difference between brand names? >

50/3-ply cotton thread... Is there really a difference between brand names?

50/3-ply cotton thread... Is there really a difference between brand names?

Old 11-09-2015, 05:59 AM

Default 50/3-ply cotton thread... Is there really a difference between brand names?

I've been using C&C on my quilt because that is what's available from Walmart. Even though I haven't had any problems with C&C other than having to replace the spools quite often, I would like to get a better quality of thread based on what I've been reading here. There's Masterpiece from Superior and Essential Cones from Connecting Threads, both are 50/3-ply extra long staple cotton. One holds more than the other and of course the price is a big difference. Is there a difference in quality? Has anyone used both and liked one better than the other? I'll be mainly piecing and quilting.
Old 11-09-2015, 06:07 AM
Power Poster

I have been told by many sewing machine technicians that C&C is the worst thread to use on your machine. I have recently tried Gutermann but I occasionally get that skipped stitched followed by a loop in the thread. I never have any problem with using Mettler Silk finished thread.
Old 11-09-2015, 07:28 AM

There are significant differences in different threads. What I think is best are very long staple threads since they have fewer "fuzzies." You can see the difference if you unroll some thread and look at it carefully. I really like Superior threads in general, but I also use Gutterman and Aurifil a lot. My all time favorite piecing thread is So-Fine by Superior. It sews like cotton, but it has almost no fuzz since it is really a polyester thread. For quilting, I use all kinds, depending on the look I am going for.
Old 11-09-2015, 08:02 AM

My favourite thread is aurifil. I have a large spool of So Fine that I don't use because I find it too fine.
Old 11-09-2015, 09:43 AM
Power Poster

C&C is very expensive for the not so great quality. I don't use it. Connecting Threads cotton is a thick 3 ply thread. I prefer Connecting Threads poly on the cone. The best cotton thread is Long Staple Egyptian Cotton. I use Aurifil and Superior the most. If you have access to microscope (the kid's toy one will work) look at the different threads. You will be amazed at how some look like barb wire. You don't want that going through your machine.

Last edited by Onebyone; 11-09-2015 at 09:48 AM.
Old 11-09-2015, 10:51 AM
Power Poster

What you may perceive as a bargain with C&C from walmart is actually not a bargain at all.

For the sake of argument lets compare C&C sold in spools at walmart to Connecting Threads cotton. This is a very nice thread to experiment with as you branch out and start to learn the differences.

When I looked up walmart on line for C&C thread the item that came up as "in stores only" was this:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coats-Clar...hread/20743481
Which is an all purpose Polyester thread. The well known "dual duty". A spool with 135 yards sells for $1.27

I refined my search to only cotton thread and found this:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coats-Clar...-Blue/20683188
This is marketed as 100% cotton but does not give weight or ply but for comparisons sake we will use this product.
450 yards for $2.97

Connecting threads thread:
http://www.connectingthreads.com/thr...d__D21253.html
1200 yards for 2.79

Almost three times as much thread for less $$!

Now granted you have to pay shipping when ordering on line but if you make an initial investment of $50 on thread and say some batting or a couple of books or some fabric or buy a few of the CT thread sets
http://www.connectingthreads.com/thr...d__D21253.html

You will have an initial outlay but a nice stock of threads to last you a very long time.

CT threads are nice. They work for piecing and machine quilting. I find them a far cry better than C&C. They can be a bit linty but many people love them. You can't beat the price and they are nice way to expand your horizons when it comes to thread.

Edited to add, thread is like fabric and machines. We all have our preferences and for different reasons. I like Aurifil for my top thread in piecing and I use Superior bottom line in the bobbin. For quilting I have many types and brands of threads. I find I prefer running polyester in my longarm and I like Glide thread for that. But I also like King Tut, Invisifil, Isacord (primarily marketed as an embroidery thread) and YLI. Different threads for different looks and purposes.

Last edited by feline fanatic; 11-09-2015 at 10:56 AM.
Old 11-09-2015, 11:40 AM

Coats & Clark was the very first thread I used when I started sewing. It's fine for basic garment sewing, but I had a hard time getting the colors I wanted so I typically use Gutermann for garment/home dec projects. It does a decent job with sewing straight lines. C&C in particular starts to struggle when you add in curves, don't backstitch to reinforce seams or put much strain on it. It is more prone to snap & will definitely shed like crazy in your machine. Gutermann sheds pretty badly also, so that means stopping to clean out bobbin case & "floss" my thread run. And it's not as durable in the wash. Plus, you definitely do not want to use either of those for quilting -- especially FMQ -- because the stress of changing direction & going through the thick batting will substantially weaken the thread. In addition to all that, the dyes used in the thread can bleed or fade with heat and/or washing.

According to the Connecting Threads website, MasterPiece is a 2-ply thread. Superior is definitely a well-regarded brand and long-staple cotton truly makes a difference. It's also Egyptian cotton, which is a finer, stronger cotton than other varieties of cotton.

Their Essentials threads I saw online say they are mercerized. Mercerized cotton is great for hand-work, not so great for piecing by machine (and would be almost impossible to machine quilt with it). It is a chemical treatment that makes the thread thick & crisp. I used it once before I knew better & it gummed up my machine & gave me terrible results. I use it for hand stitching on my binding & that's about it. I use bee's wax + Aurifil for hand quilting because I didn't really even like it for that. It's just too, too stiff.

Personally, I like working with Aurifil 50/2 for piecing & 40/2 for quilting (I buy at http://www.hawthornethreads.com/threads/aurifil). I feel spoiled every time I quilt with it. Aurifil threads are also Egyptian long-staple cotton and come in hundreds of colors. The dyes hold up well in the wash & with the pressing required to prepare the quilt top. It definitely costs more, but the money I save by not having to service my machine as often helps to offset the additional cost. However, you would definitely do well by switching to Superior cotton. It's not my personal favorite, but it's a very, very nice thread.
Old 11-09-2015, 12:46 PM
Power Poster

According to the Connecting Threads website, MasterPiece is a 2-ply thread.
Masterpiece is a 3 ply thread, the pre wound bobbins of Masterpiece are 2 ply.

Mercerized cotton is great for hand-work, not so great for piecing by machine (and would be almost impossible to machine quilt with it). It is a chemical treatment that makes the thread thick & crisp. I used it once before I knew better & it gummed up my machine & gave me terrible results.
You used Handquilting thread with a coating, not mercerized cotton thread. Essential threads are not crisp and will not gum up your machine.
Old 11-09-2015, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
You used Handquilting thread with a coating, not mercerized cotton thread. Essential threads are not crisp and will not gum up your machine.
Good to know. The Americana thread I bought must be mislabeled. The label says "mercerized", but it's definitely coated with something. I don't remember where I bought it, but boy did it mess up my machine. I still have it but almost never use it. I've been scared to buy mercerized cotton ever since.
Old 11-09-2015, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Bree123 View Post
Good to know. The Americana thread I bought must be mislabeled. The label says "mercerized", but it's definitely coated with something. I don't remember where I bought it, but boy did it mess up my machine. I still have it but almost never use it. I've been scared to buy mercerized cotton ever since.

I may be wrong as I'm not in my sewing area, but I think Americana is definitely from JAF and is for handquilting....