Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
For an 8 year old >

For an 8 year old

For an 8 year old

Old 01-28-2015, 05:01 AM

I would buy a lower end basic but brand name quality full size machine. If she likes sewing it will be useful for years, if not you can use it or sell it. I would avoid a toy or gimmick machine directed at kids. That's what I did for my daughter and the machine is still in use many years later.
Old 01-28-2015, 05:18 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by annie123 View Post
I would buy a lower end basic but brand name quality full size machine. If she likes sewing it will be useful for years, if not you can use it or sell it. I would avoid a toy or gimmick machine directed at kids. That's what I did for my daughter and the machine is still in use many years later.
What she said.

I would get a machine that I would be happy using

If DGD loves it and sewing, you will be ahead. If this turns out to be a "she tried it and did not really like sewing," you will still have a decent machine to use as a backup.

I have finally learned that sometimes simpler is definitely the way to go.

I have no advice on what to buy. All my machinrs are between 30 and 60 years old.

I do have a couple Singer 237 Fashionmate machines - 1960s era - that have forward and reverse, three needle positions, zigzag, and a light. I am fond of these machines. If the bobbin winder is not working, it msy be that the rubber tire is bad. A new one can be obtained for less than $5, and it is a do it yourself fix. I would buy another if I saw one.

The down side of that machine. It is heavy!
Old 01-28-2015, 06:13 AM

My friend bought the Hello Kitty for herself and she loves it. They switched out the throat plate to a metal one for her. She says she is happy every time she uses it. I know I would've been over the moon for a Hello Kitty as it was new and they had a display in my local department store as a kid. I do have to agree though with the others, buy a machine you wouldn't mind using as a backup.
Old 01-28-2015, 06:31 AM

I outgrew my brother CS6000i and gave it to my niece and nephew (8 & 12 years old at the time) and they have no trouble working it. I demonstrated changing the needle and threading it once, then unthreaded & took out the needle and made each of them do it themselves and now they're sewing machine experts! (So they told me, LOL)

I liked the machine myself and would have kept it as a travel/backup machine but I was happy to give it to them too. I think it's great that they BOTH are enjoying sewing. They've had it for over a year now and I get periodic reports that they haven't broken it yet, although I did hear they successfully sewed some cardboard together with it, LOL. The things kids think up....
Old 01-28-2015, 06:41 AM
Power Poster

She has already repaired some jeans. No trouble as yet. It is the Janome 124 mini sew. Only paid the $50 because not knowing how long she would stick with it. If you're going to use it also then you may want more.
Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
Got my niece a Janome for about $50.00. New at Hancocks. Has all you want.
Old 01-28-2015, 06:43 AM
Power Poster

Ditto on the backup also.
Old 01-28-2015, 06:44 AM
Power Poster

Here is the newer Hello Kitty machine.
http://www.pickmyreviews.com/janome-...o-kitty-review
Old 01-28-2015, 02:23 PM

Thanks again everyone, now to decide!
Old 01-29-2015, 05:54 AM

I bought two Bernette Seville 4 this Christmas for granddaughters. On sale at local quilt shop. $150 each but I didn't want them to have cheap machines that would cause grief and discourage their sewing. Plus their moms can use also. Win win. I LOVE my 30 year old Bernina. The Bernette is not Swiss made but it is made for Bernina so I feel it is better than lots of others out there...
Old 01-29-2015, 06:47 AM

I bought a very inexpensive Janome (sew-mini) for my granddaughter to sew on - choice of only three stitches from Hancock Fabrics (free shipping at the time). Certainly works well and she loved it. My mistake was letting her try my Viking Diamond - now she knows the difference.