Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: about color catchers

about color catchers

How can you tell when a color catcher is past it's effectiveness? (because I didn't count how many
    times I used it)

Central Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    They can be used more than once?? Who knew! (These are fairly new to me, so I appreciate acquiring any info.)

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.

Blog Entries
    I get rid of mine when they look dark to me. It depends on what I'm washing, too. Some colors of fabric will bleed a lot, but others (such as yellow) don't seem to be too bad. I don't wait until they turn black, but just if they seem full of color. I usually throw them out after one use, but often they come out almost as white as when they went in.

If they haven't picked up much color I reuse them. Sometimes I'll put in two used sheets if I have something I think will bleed a lot.

I keep using them as long as they are white or lightly colored. I wasn't sure if they were still working until a well-used sheet came out a bright blue from a significantly bleeding fabric! So yes, they just keep on working! I threw it away after that, of course.
    MacThayer

I always re use, Until it gets dark.
    Never look down on anyone, unless you are helping them up.

Blog Entries
    I also use them until they've got a bit of color on them. If I'm washing something that I think may bleed alot, I'll put in 3-4. They do work great! It's funny what colors end up bleeding...I once had more yellows bleed than the reds/purples.

i'm one of those- i use it once- then toss it-like fabric softener sheets- i guess i never thought about using it over & over- when i bought them i read the box---& do what it says---i would imagine- when the bleeding color gets on other fabrics- the color catcher is no longer working-
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Never used them more than once. If I put them in there are dark colors that I am sure will fade and the appearance of these things show me I am right!

Blog Entries
    I just found out yesterday that there were 2 kinds--one that looks like a wash cloth and the other looks like fabric softener sheets! I had always gotten the cloth ones from Safeway but I saw some in Walmart and bought 3 boxes because they were cheaper than Safeway. I hope they work as good as the cloth ones. The box says to throw away the sheets after the wash.
    Bernie

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast