Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: about color catchers

about color catchers

How can you tell when a color catcher is past it's effectiveness? (because I didn't count how many
    times I used it)

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    They can be used more than once?? Who knew! (These are fairly new to me, so I appreciate acquiring any info.)

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Blog Entries
    I get rid of mine when they look dark to me. It depends on what I'm washing, too. Some colors of fabric will bleed a lot, but others (such as yellow) don't seem to be too bad. I don't wait until they turn black, but just if they seem full of color. I usually throw them out after one use, but often they come out almost as white as when they went in.

Blog Entries
    If they haven't picked up much color I reuse them. Sometimes I'll put in two used sheets if I have something I think will bleed a lot.

I keep using them as long as they are white or lightly colored. I wasn't sure if they were still working until a well-used sheet came out a bright blue from a significantly bleeding fabric! So yes, they just keep on working! I threw it away after that, of course.
    MacThayer

I always re use, Until it gets dark.
    Never look down on anyone, unless you are helping them up.

Blog Entries
    I also use them until they've got a bit of color on them. If I'm washing something that I think may bleed alot, I'll put in 3-4. They do work great! It's funny what colors end up bleeding...I once had more yellows bleed than the reds/purples.

Blog Entries
    i'm one of those- i use it once- then toss it-like fabric softener sheets- i guess i never thought about using it over & over- when i bought them i read the box---& do what it says---i would imagine- when the bleeding color gets on other fabrics- the color catcher is no longer working-
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Never used them more than once. If I put them in there are dark colors that I am sure will fade and the appearance of these things show me I am right!

Blog Entries
    I just found out yesterday that there were 2 kinds--one that looks like a wash cloth and the other looks like fabric softener sheets! I had always gotten the cloth ones from Safeway but I saw some in Walmart and bought 3 boxes because they were cheaper than Safeway. I hope they work as good as the cloth ones. The box says to throw away the sheets after the wash.
    Bernie

Blog Entries
    I've been throwing them away after a single use even if there was no change. Thanks for the info on re-using. Will try it.

I have always thrown them after one use.

Thanks for your responses. My box (the wash cloth kind) said it could be used several times, but I threw the
    box away that says how many & didn't keep track of how many times I had used it.
    Using it once too many times would be a disaster!

I use mine until it's really dark.

Okay, here is what I did. I have an HE machine. I took a delicates washing bag (about 15 inches by 18 inches with a zipper). I put three color catchers in it laying them flat, side to side. Then I sewed 2 long lines leaving about 4 inches in the middle. When I am washing new fabric, I slip 2 new color catchers (one on each side of the three) and reuse this until the newest ones become dark. I can usually get 3-4 washes out and the catches don't wad up and become tiny little balls in the machine. And yes, the original ones are very dark but it doesn't hurt them and they keep the bag relatively flat when washing. I have just completed my 3rd batik quilt so you know I am getting some bleed but I have also found that if I wash in cold water and make sure those instructions are on the labels of the completed quilts, I have had no bleeding on the lighter/white borders. These fabrics have been from Batik Plus, Jo Anns, and Hobby Lobby!!!!
    Busy in Ohio

I have the wash cloth kind too. I believe it's good for 30 washes. I use a lot of strongly colored fabrics so I've used mine over and over - its currently a nasty greyish brown. But still seems to be working just fine.

Thanks for the info. I was using the ones that look like an extra thick drier sheet and just using them once. Even talked my hubby into using them on his work clothes. Will try using more than once.

Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
    i'm one of those- i use it once- then toss it-like fabric softener sheets- i guess i never thought about using it over & over- when i bought them i read the box---& do what it says---i would imagine- when the bleeding color gets on other fabrics- the color catcher is no longer working-
    ditto for me also.
    http://www.skillpages.com/DonnaValleyquiltermo
    Sweet Dreams come from under Cozy Quilts made with love.
    Life is short, take time to enjoy it. Play with your kids and g-kids,
    and do what you can for others.

color sheets

I even use softener sheets over for several loads and they work fine for me. Sometimes if it has been used twice in a large load I just throw an extra in and sometimes use all those 3 for another small dryer load. Color Catchers I throw out when they get a dark color also but sometimes sooner depending if it holding a lot of color or if I think it is going to bleed a lot...I've been wrong at times and not color came out at all. Tough decision on both of these. Trying is the best way to find out. Never ever give a scrap quilt without a couple of color catchers as I have had some bleeding on scrap quilts even after I've washed them. Better safe than sorry.
    Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
    They can be used more than once?? Who knew! (These are fairly new to me, so I appreciate acquiring any info.)

Jan in VA
    Jan, there are two kinds of color catchers. One is meant only to be used once and thrown away. There' s another one that is "cottony" looking and lasts about 30 uses.

I think my box said 30 washes. I can no longer find that kind and have picked up a box of the sheets but they can only be used once, i use three at a time.
    I love to do binding.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SusieQuilter View Post
    I have the wash cloth kind too. I believe it's good for 30 washes. I use a lot of strongly colored fabrics so I've used mine over and over - its currently a nasty greyish brown. But still seems to be working just fine.
    I have the same one, I think. It has a little "keep track of" area on the box with circles that you color in and when you get to the last one, you throw it out. I have 12 circles colored in now (with grandkids crayons) and it is an ugly grey, but it is still working. (18 quilts to go)!!!! It gets a little darker with each use. Have no complaints whatsoever. To be honest, it is the only one I have ever had and thank God, I have never had a color run, but I wanted to be totally on the safe side!! I feel too much work goes into a quilt to have a red or black run into a quilt. So I opt for the easiest solution. And I never throw it in the dryer. That's what the instructions say. Hang it up on a line in the basement or wherever and let it line dry! I hate to think of what that little bugger would do in a dryer. I got mine at the grocery store!!!!!! Not expensive at all considering how many quilts you save in the process! Edie
    Home is where the rags of your life are turned into quilts, lemons become lemonade and a few extra pounds are simply welcomed as "more of you to love."
    I am so confused. I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse."

BELIEVE

Can you please tell me what a colour catcher is and where to get them ? I'm in Tasmania and have never heard of such a thing.

Blog Entries
    I just finished probably my first quilt that I didn't prewash everything - and wouldn't you know it has lots of bright colors in it. I'm so grateful for this product, and hope it protects the quilt - I haven't had the nerve to try washing it yet, but have bought the catchers to use when the time comes. Thanks for all the tips and info.
    KEEP CALM and CARRY ON!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mighty View Post
    I have always thrown them after one use.
    Me. too. Guess I'll have to go read the box. LOL!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast