Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
About how my DH and I quilt together....... >

About how my DH and I quilt together.......

About how my DH and I quilt together.......

Old 04-20-2012, 08:43 AM

I don't think I could quilt with my DH. He would question everything I do, and think he has better ideas.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:19 AM
Power Poster

bring yourselves over by my house. you both can help me!!
Old 04-20-2012, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by PurpleBecca View Post
Lots of people comment on how my husband and I quilt together, so it made me think....... How DO we do it?
The first thing I have to tell you, is that we are not a close lovey dovey couple!!!!! We row A LOT!! But, when we work together, we get on much better!! We rebuilt our derelict farmhouse together and that was fun!!! So quilting is relatively easy!!

Depending on project, I often do most machining, although he is learning!! He tried some of the piecing on the Bargello, but when we got to the very narrow pieces he didn't like it!! Also, in our Christmas quilt he did most piecing, although I did most of the isosceles triangles, he got the hang of those though!!

He makes my projects go so fast as he is often taking off the back of the machine, pressing and returning pieces to me!!

I choose most of our fabric combinations, although he has some good ideas!! He often comes up with great ideas, which I listen too!! I'm not a dictator (all of the time anyway!!!!)

Look at how the triangles point into the border on our Christmas quilt -that was his idea!!!

I wasn't able to attach these pics for some reason, so ill attach them when I get to a pc!! Using my phone now!

Anyway, we will be over in the US from October till December, we will be starting our tour around Chicago, up into Wisconsin and then travelling across, ending up in Montana for Christmas.
If you're going to be here in WI come fall/winter, bring warm clothes! And lots of $$$ because there are lots of great quilt shops around these parts (& also in the Windy City)!!!
Old 04-20-2012, 11:10 AM

My DH & I quilt together, too. I buy fabric & he pays for it... LOL!
Old 04-20-2012, 08:23 PM

DH and I sorted hogs together and still farm together. He does nearly all my cutting, is great with design ideas, helps load and unload quilts on the long arm and will press if I need help. Or cooks if I'm busy quilting. NO, I don't loan him out he's all mine! I think it's another one of those deals where what works for one doesn't work for all.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:29 PM

My hubby and I don't exactly quilt together, but he always helps me layer and spray baste. And sits patiently while I'm in a fabric shop, and seems disapointed if I come out with only 1 sm bag of fabric, and laughs if it's all I can do to carry out a large one. I don't think he even knows what the inside of my little sewing room looks like, but he is very supportive of my hobbies, whatever they are at the time. And he does all of my outgoing fabric mailings.
Old 04-21-2012, 03:00 AM

Nice to see this happens world- wide. There is a well-known 'quilting couple' here as well. I think he does the drawing and design, they collaborate on topic,layout and colour and she does the quilting. Their quilts are magnificent.
Old 04-21-2012, 03:03 AM

My dad used to assist me: Machine repairs, building sewing cabinets and tables, inventing sewing tools and nifty gadgets and display racks. I miss him.
Old 04-21-2012, 05:12 AM

My husband and I work together in our business but he has yet to ask if he can quilt!! He's a good listener and gives good advice.
Old 04-21-2012, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by burchquilts View Post
My DH & I quilt together, too. I buy fabric, machines, notions & he pays for it... LOL!
Me too! A great partner IMHO.