Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: About how my DH and I quilt together.......

About how my DH and I quilt together.......

Lots of people comment on how my husband and I quilt together, so it made me think....... How DO we do it?
    The first thing I have to tell you, is that we are not a close lovey dovey couple!!!!! We row A LOT!! But, when we work together, we get on much better!! We rebuilt our derelict farmhouse together and that was fun!!! So quilting is relatively easy!!

Depending on project, I often do most machining, although he is learning!! He tried some of the piecing on the Bargello, but when we got to the very narrow pieces he didn't like it!! Also, in our Christmas quilt he did most piecing, although I did most of the isosceles triangles, he got the hang of those though!!

He makes my projects go so fast as he is often taking off the back of the machine, pressing and returning pieces to me!!

I choose most of our fabric combinations, although he has some good ideas!! He often comes up with great ideas, which I listen too!! I'm not a dictator (all of the time anyway!!!!)

Look at how the triangles point into the border on our Christmas quilt -that was his idea!!!

I wasn't able to attach these pics for some reason, so ill attach them when I get to a pc!! Using my phone now!

Anyway, we will be over in the US from October till December, we will be starting our tour around Chicago, up into Wisconsin and then travelling across, ending up in Montana for Christmas.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-19-2012 at 03:46 AM. Reason: PM to member

How nice for you!! It must be great to have a supportive husband!

Enjoyed your post. Hope to see photos of your Christmas quilt and the bargello. Thanks for sharing.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-19-2012 at 03:48 AM.

That's great that you can work together like that!! I have found it's easier for me if DH sticks to his wood crafts and I do the quilting. He has some good ideas sometimes, but gets mad when some don't fit what I'm trying to achieve for a certain project. He's very supportive though & we work together well on other things.
    Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply,Speak Kindly, Leave the rest to GOD

My husband and I do not work well together, and I cannot imagine him helping me quilt. I can imagine me helping him with a project...but somehow not the reverse!

Alison

DH and I also quilt together, he likes to cut and machine piece, I design and do the hand work. A perfect match!!

Blog Entries
    He is at least busy! I don't want to know if DH and I could quilt together. Quilting is my time.
    Got fabric?

My DH and I quilt very well together - He upstairs in front of the TV and I in the basement with my machines. VBG

My DH wants to learn to quilt when he retires. He has my old machine and he's keeping all my scraps, lol. We'll see.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobbielinks View Post
    My DH and I quilt very well together - He upstairs in front of the TV and I in the basement with my machines. VBG
    Funny and so true! My DH has several hobbies he enjoys as much as I enjoy quilting. He always has something to occupy his time. It's been over a month since he was in my sewing room and that was to replace the ceiling light for me. I went in his workshop yesterday for the first time since Christmas. I needed some packing tape. Walking in his shop is like being in a hardware store. He thinks my sewing room is like a quilt shop!
    Got fabric?

Blog Entries
    I don't think I could quilt with my DH. He would question everything I do, and think he has better ideas.
    jlm5419-an Okie back in Oklahoma!
    http://according-to-ginger.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries
    bring yourselves over by my house. you both can help me!!

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleBecca View Post
    Lots of people comment on how my husband and I quilt together, so it made me think....... How DO we do it?
    The first thing I have to tell you, is that we are not a close lovey dovey couple!!!!! We row A LOT!! But, when we work together, we get on much better!! We rebuilt our derelict farmhouse together and that was fun!!! So quilting is relatively easy!!

Depending on project, I often do most machining, although he is learning!! He tried some of the piecing on the Bargello, but when we got to the very narrow pieces he didn't like it!! Also, in our Christmas quilt he did most piecing, although I did most of the isosceles triangles, he got the hang of those though!!

He makes my projects go so fast as he is often taking off the back of the machine, pressing and returning pieces to me!!

I choose most of our fabric combinations, although he has some good ideas!! He often comes up with great ideas, which I listen too!! I'm not a dictator (all of the time anyway!!!!)

Look at how the triangles point into the border on our Christmas quilt -that was his idea!!!

I wasn't able to attach these pics for some reason, so ill attach them when I get to a pc!! Using my phone now!

Anyway, we will be over in the US from October till December, we will be starting our tour around Chicago, up into Wisconsin and then travelling across, ending up in Montana for Christmas.
    If you're going to be here in WI come fall/winter, bring warm clothes! And lots of $$$ because there are lots of great quilt shops around these parts (& also in the Windy City)!!!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

My DH & I quilt together, too. I buy fabric & he pays for it... LOL!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

DH and I sorted hogs together and still farm together. He does nearly all my cutting, is great with design ideas, helps load and unload quilts on the long arm and will press if I need help. Or cooks if I'm busy quilting. NO, I don't loan him out he's all mine! I think it's another one of those deals where what works for one doesn't work for all.
    Cheryl Robinson
    http://www.silverneedlestitching.com
    APQS Millenium Longarm with Intelliquilter

My hubby and I don't exactly quilt together, but he always helps me layer and spray baste. And sits patiently while I'm in a fabric shop, and seems disapointed if I come out with only 1 sm bag of fabric, and laughs if it's all I can do to carry out a large one. I don't think he even knows what the inside of my little sewing room looks like, but he is very supportive of my hobbies, whatever they are at the time. And he does all of my outgoing fabric mailings.
    Linda Sue **** Live,Laugh & Sew

Nice to see this happens world- wide. There is a well-known 'quilting couple' here as well. I think he does the drawing and design, they collaborate on topic,layout and colour and she does the quilting. Their quilts are magnificent.

My dad used to assist me: Machine repairs, building sewing cabinets and tables, inventing sewing tools and nifty gadgets and display racks. I miss him.

My husband and I work together in our business but he has yet to ask if he can quilt!! He's a good listener and gives good advice.

Quote Originally Posted by burchquilts View Post
    My DH & I quilt together, too. I buy fabric, machines, notions & he pays for it... LOL!
    Me too! A great partner IMHO.
    Linda

Blog Entries
    I guess we all have our little things we do. I love to sew and my DH loves to work in wood. I go out and help Him but He does not help me, lol.....I would love for Him to help but sewing is not His cup of Tea, so to speak. We don't work well together because He hates it when I am right, lol...but I still help Him anyway. When it comes to painting in the house I am the one who does it all. He says I do a better job, right!!!.Well it is great you and your DH can quilt together, sounds like fun.
    Life is SEW great!!!!!!

Mine helps by not complaining about all the related expenses and by spending lots of time at the golf course and out working in the yard so he doesn't distract me. One other thing is holding quilts up high so I can take pictures. It's a workable arrangement for now, but if he ever wants to take up quilting I would encourage it. I figure that someday he may need a hobby to fall back on that would be less physically strenuous than golf and gardening. My crystal ball says that if that ever happens his new "hobby" will be watching sports and politics on TV.

My DH is interested in what I'm working on. He gives opinions when asked and is very supportive. He helps by grocery shopping, running errands and mopping the kitchen. He's even cleaned toilets on occasion. I think I'll keep him. It'd be hard to have to train a new one. LOL
    Last edited by QandE2010; 04-21-2012 at 09:25 AM.
    Alma
    Nami to 6

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbielinks View Post
    The same about us, LOL!

My husband is gardening at present, but his health has caused him to slow down and many things he loved to do are no longer possible. He encourages fabric purchases, chooses patterns, presses and helps cut. I purchased an embroidery machine, threaded it once, he asked me to show him how I did that - end of story - - I NEVER GOT TO EMBROIDER - he tok it over. At least it keeps is together and enjoying time spent on projects.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast