Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
? about memories quilts & their pictures >

? about memories quilts & their pictures

? about memories quilts & their pictures

Old 03-01-2017, 08:13 AM

Default ? about memories quilts & their pictures

I am wondering how they are quilted, do you quilt though the pictures or around them? Does the brand of fabric sheets(I'm using June Taylor) make a difference? What about washing? I will be putting some pictures on a quilt for my GS, he will be 3. Will the print wash out? Thanks for any help or idea for quilting it.
Old 03-01-2017, 08:58 AM
Power Poster

I had my photos put onto fabric by a copy shop many years ago. like t-shirts. no sewing through them. i swapped with many quilters for signed blocks long ago and anything ironed on can't be sewn through either. Now treating your own fabric or buying those made for photos may work. Someone who has used either of those could tell you more.
Attached Thumbnails memoryqlt2000.jpg  
Old 03-01-2017, 02:47 PM
Power Poster

Remember that the batting will tell you how far apart to quilt. If you go farther than the recommendation, the batting may bunch or shred in the wash.
Old 03-01-2017, 05:33 PM

Thanks, Very nice quilt. That's what I'm afraid of, not quilting it close enough for the batting if I go around the pictures. I have some 8 inch photos.
Old 03-01-2017, 05:42 PM

First, make up your mind if this is going to be a keepsake/wallhanging or if this will be a drag around and cuddle quilt. I would probably quilt around the pics and then follow the batting instructions as to how far apart the quilting needs to be on the sashings for a keepsake. For a cuddle quilt I would put as little work in to it as possible but so it will hold together. Maybe quilt around the pictures and tie in the sashings with just a little quilting there. I am concerned that photos will not be very permenant with a lot of washing so just give it in love and be happy with the love it gets. When it wears out it wears out. Hope this helps.
Old 03-02-2017, 08:32 AM

Lots of internet info on this. Check your printer ink if it is dye based it will wash out. If it is pigment based it is more permanent but will still fade a little. They have come out with printers that use textile ink but they are pricey.
Old 03-02-2017, 03:56 PM

I did a wall hanging for my mom of some pics ... i told her she couldn't wash it LOL ... so there was no quilting in the pics

[ATTACH=CONFIG]569283[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attic-windows-mom.jpg  
Old 03-03-2017, 06:08 AM

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate your help and info.