Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
About Pieced Borders >

About Pieced Borders

About Pieced Borders

Old 09-23-2014, 06:45 AM

For me it depends on the quilt. I do a lot of scrappy quilts, and for scrappy quilts I usually throw in at least one scrappy-pieced border (if I have borders at all). Those I usually just make extra long and then chop down to size.

If it's a non-scrappy or a very controlled scrappy, I measure out and either adjust the block size to fit, or I'll divide the border into halves or quarters or thirds and use specifically-sized "key" blocks in between each segment to make it all work out.

Mostly I just sorta fly by the seat of my pants and figure it out as I go, though. My quilts are pretty casual so that works for me. MOST of my quilts have no borders at all.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:54 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Nammie to 7 View Post
You need to plan -- if your quilt top isn't divisible by the size of your block then you can add a "spacer" border so it all fits together. I'm sure someone will be able to explain it a whole lot better than I can.
I agree with Nammie, you need to have a plan. That is why I love EQ. But then you must constantly check that your seams are all correct, otherwise then you will have to add a spacer. I try to match the spacer with the corner block, that way it doesn't like like a mistake.
Old 09-23-2014, 11:13 AM

I have done this a few ways. I like medallion quilts!

The easy way is to make the border, measure it, than calculate the size of the 'filler' border you need to make it fit, then put the filler border in first.

Another way is to 'float' the blocks with surrounding sashing or just sashing between the blocks so that they come to the right length to match the border. That is trickier because you have to play with the filler sashing size between the blocks to get the math right, but it can work when the sashing in the color of the outer bit of the block and it can be tweaked so the length of border is correct. And it may require a clever corner block or a plain filler block.

The worst way in my opinion is to try to change the size of the blocks in the border so they add up. That can be too much tweaking.

A clever thing to do is in the Stars for a New Day by Sue Garman where she floats the outer border of stars. To me, that is lovely.

I guess the net net from my view, is WING IT!
Old 09-24-2014, 04:53 AM

Lately I made a pieced border of pinwheels made from the triangles I trimmed off of the snowball blocks in the body of the quilt. I did not have enough pinwheels to go all the way around, so I divided them between opposite corners, then I finished the rest of the length of each side with a matching fabric border. I've noticed other quilts done this way too, so I hope the quilt police do not come after me. I've decided that it is a great way to go with pieced borders. It doesn't have to come out even and I can just trim to fit at the non-pieced end.
Old 09-24-2014, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
and a hint to help it fit from Bonnie Hunter's lecture last week: if the blocks are straight set, use a straight set border. if the blocks are on point, use an on point border.
I respectfully disagree with Bonnie. I think opposites can add lots of visual interest. Case in point: one of my Drunkard's Path quilts. The center blocks are straight; the border is on point. As you can see, there IS a gap.

I have several choices here. I can add strips of the white polka dot to the border to make it fit, which would be very easy. But I auditioned several options - a single solid strip of green, two solid strips, one pink one yellow, some of the coordinating stripe.... on and on. This is what I ended up going with:

Attached Thumbnails border-1.jpg   border-2.jpg  
Old 09-24-2014, 07:27 AM

Another Drunkard's Path example: in this one I just added a plain black strip to both sides of the block border to make it fit.

Attached Thumbnails drunkards-path-quilt1.jpg  
Old 09-24-2014, 07:35 AM

I am a daredevil, I take a chance and then if it doesn't fit I "fix" it by adding a corner post or a spacer. Works for me as I am math challenged and I am always wrong in my calculations and that is why I love applique!
Old 09-24-2014, 07:44 AM

Peckish, those Drunkard's Paths are awesome!
Old 09-24-2014, 07:58 AM

Thank you so much for sharing the link. I have already ordered the book. I want to learn to do something other than plain borders, but I am a bit new at this and have been afraid to try something I was not confident about.
Old 09-24-2014, 08:00 AM

I LOVE your quilt. It is so vibrant and alive!