Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 42

Thread: Borders or no borders?

  1. #1
    Super Member Grama Lehr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    Posts
    5,040
    Please tell me if you think that I should borders on this quilt. It's suppose to be an Asian theme, hope you can see the prints.
    Should I use a blender and another print? I do not have any of the fabric in the blocks, they were all fat quarters.
    Attached Images Attached Images




  2. #2
    Moderator Jim's Gem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Camarillo, California
    Posts
    35,480
    Personally, I would add a border. Maybe a thin 1 1/2" border in a black. Then a wider border, maybe 4 1/2" in a nice pretty Asian print. Bind darker than your print.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    South Central PA
    Posts
    267
    I would consider pulling out the bright blue or the very light green. JMHO

  4. #4
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Mabank, Texas
    Posts
    8,283
    I love the pattern and colors of your quilt. It's beautiful. I think it needs a border.

  5. #5
    Senior Member quilter1430's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    360
    I vote for the border. A narrow 1" border and then a wider one.

  6. #6
    Super Member suebee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    4,080
    Quote Originally Posted by Grama Lehr
    Please tell me if you think that I should borders on this quilt. It's suppose to be an Asian theme, hope you can see the prints.
    Should I use a blender and another print? I do not have any of the fabric in the blocks, they were all fat quarters.

    Im thinking a thin red asian print border followed by a wider gold (like gold in your quilt top) Red is in alot of asian designs anyway right??? this is really cool. dont forget to keep us posted. Thank you for sharing.

  7. #7
    Power Poster earthwalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    10,297
    I think a border would be in order for this one...maybe a narrow black border then a wider one picking out a colour from the prints...then bind in black. Let us know what you end up doing....lovely colours and design.

  8. #8
    Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    17,462
    Such a beauty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I also think a border would be good.

  9. #9
    Super Member Maggiesmom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Middle Tennessee
    Posts
    2,014
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by quilter1430
    I vote for the border. A narrow 1" border and then a wider one.
    I agree.

  10. #10
    Super Member Murphy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    8,902
    Blog Entries
    1
    I would consider pulling the red or gold to the border.

  11. #11
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Upper Michigan
    Posts
    8,592
    Blog Entries
    14
    Very pretty! Border definitely. I have some of those prints! Beautiful aren't they! I'm making a queen size kimono quilt!!

  12. #12
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Upper Michigan
    Posts
    8,592
    Blog Entries
    14
    Very pretty! Border definitely. I have some of those prints! Beautiful aren't they! I'm making a queen size kimono quilt!!

  13. #13
    Super Member Sandee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    middle America
    Posts
    2,848
    Blog Entries
    71
    I vote for a border. And by the way, that's a very pretty quilt!!

  14. #14
    Super Member gaby4v's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    close to the grand babies!!!
    Posts
    2,198
    Blog Entries
    3
    Pretty quilt!! I would add two borders. Black thin one and a wider red one.

  15. #15
    Super Member Joanie2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    American Canyon, CA
    Posts
    1,135
    Blog Entries
    3
    I'll throw in my 2 cents. I think you should add a narrow black border and then a wider border in either red or that gold. Those 2 fabrics seem to stand out to me and a border of either of those colors would help them stand out. Just another opinion...

  16. #16
    Super Member kristen0112's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Salem, Oregon
    Posts
    2,442
    Quote Originally Posted by suebee
    Quote Originally Posted by Grama Lehr
    Please tell me if you think that I should borders on this quilt. It's suppose to be an Asian theme, hope you can see the prints.
    Should I use a blender and another print? I do not have any of the fabric in the blocks, they were all fat quarters.

    Im thinking a thin red asian print border followed by a wider gold (like gold in your quilt top) Red is in alot of asian designs anyway right??? this is really cool. dont forget to keep us posted. Thank you for sharing.
    I would go with a narrow red border, after that ???

  17. #17
    Super Member cindy4857's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Phillips Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,482
    I agree with joanie, thin black then a wider boarder of one of the bolder colors the red or gold.

  18. #18
    Cha
    Cha is offline
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    72
    Vote borders a thin one and a wider one. It is beautiful. Pick any color.

  19. #19
    Super Member katier825's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    7,160
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
    Personally, I would add a border. Maybe a thin 1 1/2" border in a black. Then a wider border, maybe 4 1/2" in a nice pretty Asian print. Bind darker than your print.
    My thoughts exactly!

    Bring it with you when shopping and try out a few fabrics with it. This works great because some might blend and look ok, but the right one will make it pop!

  20. #20
    Super Member marilynr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,422
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by gaby4v
    Pretty quilt!! I would add two borders. Black thin one and a wider red one.
    I agree with this suggestion. Really like your fabrics & a very pretty quilt.

  21. #21
    Senior Member rgbear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Catskill, ny
    Posts
    497
    black border

  22. #22
    Senior Member rgbear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Catskill, ny
    Posts
    497
    black border

  23. #23
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    13,232
    I like borders, but it looks cute the way it is!

  24. #24
    Super Member jmabby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Minnesota, Land of 10,000 Lakes
    Posts
    1,523
    Blog Entries
    1
    I would add a yellow/gold border with black binding

  25. #25
    Super Member hobbykat1955's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    2,733
    black border

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.