Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
??? about rag quilt..... >

??? about rag quilt.....

??? about rag quilt.....

Old 03-31-2014, 06:48 PM

I sew an X to keep the batting in place but also to make it look more "worn" and puckered/aged after I wash it (I don't prewash).
Old 04-01-2014, 03:21 AM

The x is to keep the batting in place which is cut smaller than the blocks, I've also used emb as well. If you are using two or three layers and they are all the same size and no batting you can get by with not doing the x since the outside seams will hold it all. I make the blocks, make the x and sew them together. I use the Go rag quilter so the cutting of edges is already done.
Old 04-01-2014, 03:45 AM

I have made them both with and without the X. The times I sewed the X, I used flannel top and backing and a layer of Warm and Natural batting. (Can you say heavy quilt.) That quilt is for northern WI. I have sewn denim top and backing without batting and without the X.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:22 AM

The X is to hold the batting in place so it doesn't shift and deteriorate when the quilt is washed. Flannel is a woven fabric so there is no need to hold it together in washing since the weave already does the holding together for you. Batting on the other hand is not a woven product therefore you have to stitch it down every so many inches otherwise it will come apart when washed. My sister-in-law made a quilt that she did not follow the guidelines on how close the stitching needed to be when she quilted it and when the quilt was washed what a mess of lumps and bumps as the batting had pulled apart and shifted. She was no longer around and it was a favorite quilt of my brother-in-law so I took it all apart and put a new batting and re-quilted it for him. What a job! There is good reason why they tell you on the batting package how frequently it has to be tied or sewn in place.