Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Academy of Quilting:Anyone taken any classes? >

Academy of Quilting:Anyone taken any classes?

Academy of Quilting:Anyone taken any classes?

Old 03-25-2015, 06:16 AM

Default Academy of Quilting:Anyone taken any classes?

I got an email from the Academy of Quilting. There are several classes that look kind of good. Has anyone taken any of their classes?

I have taken Craftsy classes, some good some not so good, so I am familiar with online classes. They have some ones that look interesting so I thought that I would put the question out to everyone before I spent my money

Liz
Old 03-25-2015, 11:46 AM

Haven't taken any of the class with them, but just an observation - they are pricey, and have a start and stop date. For me the joy of on-line classes is access when I want and not put on a schedule - hence, I love the Craftsy platform and other classes that provide unlimited online access. On place I take classes, I have 60 days online access and then a CD is received, which is included in the price, for further access to the class off line.

Noticed they do have some free classes, maybe take one and see how you like it.
Old 03-25-2015, 12:01 PM

I've taken several classes from Quilt University, which is now Academy of Quilting. They've got GREAT classes, lots of help from every teacher that I took a class from. Haven't taken one from Academy of Quilting proper since they've changed over, but they've got the same teachers and I suspect nothing has changed from before.
Old 03-25-2015, 03:59 PM

I have taken a couple of classes from Academy of Quilting. I enjoyed them and felt they were good. I printed out all the classes as they are only available during the period the class runs for unlike Craftsy classes that are available forever. You are encouraged to send photos of your work and any questions or discoveries as the class is going. I took one on Hawaiian applique by Nancy Chong and learned a lot about applique and hand quilting. Was worth the money.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:04 PM
Power Poster

I prefer to take classes at a LQS. Besides getting personal assistance from an instructor, it is a great way of meeting new friends who love quilting as much as I do.
Old 03-25-2015, 11:10 PM

I prefer a class even if I have a long trip to the class. It gets me from the house and meeting new people. I have done crafsty online and enjoyed them but at a different mental state at present.
i did look at the academy of quilting classes and was put off by cost.
Old 03-25-2015, 11:44 PM

That's good news: I didn't realise that Quilt University was still around under another name. The classes I did with them were of high quality and very enjoyable. I prefer learning online: I'm a slow learner and can get stressed in a class if the others are racing ahead of me.