Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone taken longarm quilting classes? >

Has anyone taken longarm quilting classes?

Has anyone taken longarm quilting classes?

Old 11-18-2012, 07:09 AM

Default Has anyone taken longarm quilting classes?

I am wanting longarm quilting classes for Christmas. I am still at the white knuckle stage with my longarm. I feel that I am the kind of person that needs to be shown how to do this and maybe I can get it. Thanks for your suggestions.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:18 AM
Power Poster

I had 2 days of classes with my longarm. These came with the purchase, at the dealer's site. It really helped to get the basics before taking the machine home. Since then I've watched lots of videos and read books, and that helps too. I do think those initial lessons were necessary.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:12 AM

I took a number of classes and also have watched many utube videos. Joined a group that is for LA quilters (many are professionals) and they have offered a lot of advise on using my machine. Check where you bought your machine as many of them offer basic classes.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:38 AM

I've taken several classes. I tend to be a "monkey see, monkey do" kind of person. I do better watching and then going home and doing it myself. Don't really like hands on classes as I tend to feel like I do everything wrong. Or that I will make a mistake. It's just me and my backward personality. The most that I have learned is here on the board or videos on youtube. Most of longarming is just practice, practice, practice.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:46 AM
Banned

I'd love to, but the opportunity never presents itself when I can get away. I'm self taught, with the help of DVD's.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:52 AM
Banned

I did yesterday. It was a one day class only. Now that I have taken it I can rent time on their machine. I learned a lot but if I don't do it for awhile I know I would need a refresher. It was a great class.
Old 11-18-2012, 03:18 PM
Power Poster

I want to take a class BEFORE I can even think about purchasing a machine. The 3 day intensive training is $500 and that is more than I can afford for something that might not be my thing. The 2 hour class you need to take before being allowed to rent a machine just doesn't seem like enough time to know what you're doing.
Old 11-18-2012, 03:32 PM

I went and test drove both the sit down HQ and an Avante 18 yesterday. I fully intended to get the sit down version, but after playing with each of them I've decided I need to take the class on the Avante and rent time on it to see if I feel I can get the hang of it. It's a lot cheaper than a $500 class and it's at a small shop where I believe I'll get a lot of help even after I take the class.

In addition I'm going to continue to practice FMQ on my sewing machine to see if I think I'll be able to get the hang of FMQ enough to use the sitdown HQ. At that point I'll make a decision on which one to get.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:15 PM

My machine company offered a 4 day class in another city. I went and spent all day and evening every day. It was wonderful, but I had to pay to get there and to stay overnight although the class was included in the purchase. I would so highly recommend classes. I also have taken Longarm University classes and others.
Old 11-19-2012, 06:00 AM

I took a 2-day class that came with my Gammill at the dealership in McKinney, TX. It was great. The class was free but since I live near San Antonio, I had to stay over at a motel. The expense was well worth it, however. Also, I have had several questions since then and the dealership is very quick to get back with me and everytime answered my question to my satisfaction. I would suggest that you first contact your longarm dealership and see what they have to offer. Every machine is slightly different and I think it's probably a good idea to take a class geared to your particular longarm.