Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Has anyone taken longarm quilting classes? >

Has anyone taken longarm quilting classes?

Has anyone taken longarm quilting classes?

Old 11-01-2013, 11:52 AM

Hi Donna! I just read your post, and I am looking for the same thing. Have you found anything, if not, maybe we could get together and watch some classes and see what we come up with. I might have a contact who might be willing to teach us both, not sure...e-mail me if interested, [email protected]
Old 11-01-2013, 12:12 PM
Power Poster

it's been my experience that when you purchase a long-arm machine the dealer offers free classes to learn to use the machine. I actually took classes at the dealer's shop before deciding to purchase my machine. you should contact your dealer to ask about classes. if you purchased a machine through a private party maybe you could contact them to find out where the dealer is to contact for the classes. dealer's want you to be successful with your machine.
Old 11-01-2013, 12:22 PM

There was no one around to help me set up my longarm or teach any classes. I, like many others, have been watching longarm video segments on"quilt it" a handi quilter longarm series on QNNTV. Also you-tube videos. In January, the Road to California quilting expo offers numerous hands on longarm quilting classes. They range from $75.00 to $165.00 for 4-8 hour segments. I signed up for a few. Machines are provided by Gammil, Hand Quilter, Innova, and some others. The only other classes I could find were several states away at a high cost. Hopefully, this will further my longarm experience.
Old 11-01-2013, 12:31 PM
Power Poster

I took classes at the dealer that I bought my long arm from but even people that did not buy a machine from them can take the classes. I also took another class from a quilting artist the day after the classes were over from the dealer. I had to drive out of state but it was worth the money as the classes were very good. I know there is an HQ dealer about ten minutes from me and they offer classes also. I will probably not take any from then as I did not think the classes I took before were worth the money but I know they have outsiders come in and teach classes also. There are also online classes and they are often worth their money as you can sit and watch them over and over. Also you might be able to find a better online teacher versus what just happens to be available in your area.
Old 11-01-2013, 12:34 PM
Power Poster

Hmmm I know exactly what you mean by feeling you do everything wrong. I did not realize but I had that also with one teacher that I had for 3 days. I was not her but me. I still learned a lot but I was not able to do as well in her class. For day 4 I had another teacher and her style worked better for me and I did better. I have been looking online more for classes also as I am also a monkey see monkey do person.

Originally Posted by Jennie and Me View Post
I've taken several classes. I tend to be a "monkey see, monkey do" kind of person. I do better watching and then going home and doing it myself. Don't really like hands on classes as I tend to feel like I do everything wrong. Or that I will make a mistake. It's just me and my backward personality. The most that I have learned is here on the board or videos on youtube. Most of longarming is just practice, practice, practice.
Old 11-01-2013, 03:18 PM

I got weekly basic lessons from my dealer. They still answer all my questions as needed, thank goodness!

Birds of a Feather has a big LA training in Virginia Beach in February 2014. I spoke with a representative and she said they provide the long arms and even if you don't use the same machine, you will learn a lot.
Old 11-01-2013, 05:07 PM

I took three classes with Linda V. Taylor at the NQA Show in Columbus a few years ago. The best investment I made concerning my mid-arm. She was wonderful, down to earth and very, very humble. Made me feel SO comfortable. I was a total newbie, and by the time I left I wasn't afraid to use my machine at all. I was chompin' at the bit to get home and try it out - and I have a Hinterberg Voyager, not a Gammill. If I had the money, I'd take more classes from her. She was, hands down, the best teacher I ever had!
Old 11-02-2013, 02:44 AM

I recommend Kimmy Brunner's classes and dvds https://kimmyquilt.danemcoweb.com/shop/ . On Craftsy you can take Angela Walter's class. Kimmy also has a template class on Craftsy. There are machine quilting shows that offer machine quilting classes and of course other quilt shows offer some. MQS is in Kansas every May and MQX has a west coast show and and east coast show.

www.mqresource.com is a machine quilters forum with all levels of quilters and a lot of support and help.

What helped me the most with freehand work was doodling. I draw designs over and over. It really helps ingrain the design and make you more relaxed.

Last edited by Pagzz; 11-02-2013 at 02:46 AM.
Old 11-02-2013, 05:43 AM

I was also going to suggest Craftsy and other dvds to learn. There are lots available - HandiQuilter has some - and now has a series of sit down quilt machine dvds for those of us who have a big sit down machine like me.
There are also some great dvds available by Jamie Wallen or Dusty Farrell if you want something different.

When I had a frame/machine combo the best advice I was given was load fabric... start at the top and start quilting lyrics, poems, whatever until you get to the bottom. When you get to the bottom your stitches will be perfect and you'll feel really comfortable with it. It really helped me a lot - although I was lazy and just quilted over the same area over and over again.