Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Accuquilt Go question >

Accuquilt Go question

Accuquilt Go question

Old 12-19-2011, 02:36 PM

Default Accuquilt Go question

I went gung Ho and bought the Go cutter and numerous dies as a Christmas present to myself. I searched on the group to see if there were many posts on the GO but didn't find that many.

If any of you do have it, I am wondering if I'm doing something wrong. When I cut as instructed I am ALWAYS getting cuts that need further cutting. I am using the quarter square triangles and I have to manually snip threads in many, many places. I thought maybe I had the grain in the wrong direction so I reversed the grain but exactly the same thing is happening.

I am using Joann's fat quarters in black and white, not washed but steam ironed. No more than 6 layers, 4 did the same thing too. This is listed in case it has something to do with the results. I also posted the question on the accuquilt site under the instant chat section and never got a response. So far I've spent a fortune and not a happy camper. In case someone is planning a purchase note that the mats DO NOT COME with the expensive dies. Only the initial die in the GO package comes with a mat. I really thought for the cost of the dies that mats would come in there too.
Old 12-19-2011, 02:48 PM

you may be doing too many layers, but call their 800 number, they have great support! I never have to do any extra cuts!! Also get your extra mats on sale on e bay, that is the best way, wayyyyy cheaper. Good luck, I have the go and just love it love it love it
Old 12-19-2011, 02:51 PM

Until the machine gets broken in you shouldn't cut more than 4 layers at a time. It is not unusual for strings that need to be snipped to remain; once the cutter and dies break in, this too should diminish.
Old 12-19-2011, 04:21 PM

I have the Go too and don't have any problems. Contact the company.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:01 PM
Power Poster

When my mat gets a crack in it it won't cut fabric where the crack is but if you are using a new mat, it's probably the die. It is more then likely one teeny tiny edge of the die blade isn't touching the fabric. Call and ask for a replacement die.
The mats are sold separate from the dies. One mat will fit many dies so it's not practical to have a mat with every new die. The mats are inexpensive anyway. I don't baby my Go but I usually only cut 4 layers of fabric and many times I put a thin piece of paper over the die underneath the fabric to keep the fabric from stretching when I'm cutting shapes from scrap pieces and may not be on grain.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:43 PM
Power Poster

I would ask for a replacement die. Have you tried some of the other shapes too?
Old 12-19-2011, 10:15 PM

Contact Accuquilt. They have excellent customer service. If you can't get them on instant chat, send them an email. Usually answered the same day or at least within 24 hours. I have had to have 2 dies replaced because they didn't cut right. I didn't have to return the 1st die but the 2nd one they wanted it back before they would send me the replacement. They also wanted me to pay shipping to return it to them. When I refused, they sent me a label to attach to my package.
Old 12-20-2011, 04:26 AM

I had the same problem with my Studio after having used it for a long time. I needed a new mat. Once I used the new mat, no more trimming threads to separate the pieces.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:53 AM

Good suggestions from board members. I haven't had any problems with my GO, but it could happen.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:04 AM
Power Poster

I have the go and have never had this problem. Call the company they have great customer service. I just recieved my new studio cutter yeterday and can not wait to try it out. Good luck I am sure you will love it once this is taken care of. They are great.