Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Accuquilt rag die question

Blog Entries
    I have made lots of rag quilts and usually you cut the fringe into the seam allowance afterwards. Does having the fringe already cut by the GO! die make it more of a challenge to sew the quilt together? Does the fringe get caught in your seam?

I am thinking about getting the die but just wasn't sure how it worked.

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    No it does not get caught in the seam you stop a qtr inch from the edges

Use a piece of paper over the die under the fabric to keep the threads from getting stuck in the fringe die area.

Blog Entries
    Some people use a strip of painter's tape on the fringe while they are sewing the seam. The tape is reusable. Haven't tried that die yet myself, but plan to use the paper tip!

That's a great tip about the paper, thanks for including that in your post.

You guys don't think the paper will dull the blade?? It sounds like a great idea. My rag die is due in Monday.

Blog Entries
    I use thin vellum paper or typing paper for the rag die. It may dull the blade after 10,000 cuts. I'll buy another die one then. LOL. The Die machines were first made for paper die cuts and I know the Studio and Grand Marc are made to cut paper, the fabric was just an afterthought when quilters started thinking hey let's cut fabric with these things.

Thanks BellaBoo - I have my die now and my plan today to play with my new Go. I really like the paper idea. I saw several posts about what a pain it was to clean the die of strings and I don't want that. I may try a cut with paper and one without and post the photos so everyone can see.

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    I use thin vellum paper or typing paper for the rag die. It may dull the blade after 10,000 cuts. I'll buy another die one then. LOL. The Die machines were first made for paper die cuts and I know the Studio and Grand Marc are made to cut paper, the fabric was just an afterthought when quilters started thinking hey let's cut fabric with these things.
    Ditto! I'd rather buy another one after 10000 cuts then wasting all that time picking out threads from the die.

By the way how do you get those threads out of you die. I only cut one batch of fabrics and I can't get them out. Will try the paper next time.