Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Accuquilt vs. Sizzix  Which one would you buy and why? >

Accuquilt vs. Sizzix Which one would you buy and why?

Accuquilt vs. Sizzix Which one would you buy and why?

Old 05-27-2015, 10:53 PM
Power Poster

I have read negative reviews of the Vagabond. For electric, I would get the Accuquilt Go! Big which is pretty new on the market. Everyone who has one seems to love it.
Old 05-27-2015, 11:58 PM

I have the Accuquilt Studio and don't mind cranking at all. I have a lot of health issues but have no problems with the crank. Also you can cut out many layers at a time up to 10-12. I wouldn't change.
Old 05-28-2015, 01:39 AM

I've also seen a lot of bad reviews for the vagabond, it seems a lot of them broke down very quickly.

I have the sizzix big shot and I love it! I just couldn't justify the price of the accuquilt, especially considering it can't use the sizzix dies! I only have a few dies for it, but am really glad I invested in the 2 1/2" strip die! I just cut strips for a bargello with it, 40 fqs worth of fabric in a couple of hours and they were all perfect! It's my second bargello and I had loads of trouble with the first one because of inaccurate cutting, but I haven't had a single problem with seam matching on this one!
Old 05-28-2015, 05:37 AM

I'd wait on the Vagabond. Sizzix did bring out an electric model - the Big Shot Express. It's on the web site. Says it holds all dies.

I'll bet in a couple of months we will see the Pro model changed to electric. They seem to be discounting the original Pro.
Old 05-28-2015, 05:39 AM

My Big Kick is the same machine. It's the first one that Sizzix put out in that size, and it still works well.

If you see a Big Kick or Fabi in good condition at a yard sale, it will do most of the standard dies.
Old 05-28-2015, 11:41 AM

I have the GO and many dies, about a yr ago bought a Sizzix big shot and bought dies at HL...they honored their coupon on them...now, however, they no longer sell the dies...boohoo......but I do like both of the machines...And don't regret either purchase......
Old 05-28-2015, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Weezy Rider View Post
I use a Sizzix. I kept my Big Kick from years ago just for embossing. Using it for quilt dies now. It will do Accuquilt dies but you need a shim.
Me, too! Not into making cards or scrapbooking, so am happy to buy a die now and then for quilting.
Old 05-28-2015, 03:30 PM

I got the Sizzix Big Shot Pro. It can accept the Accuquilt Go Dies (but not the new Accuquilt Go Big). It can also accept Accuquilt Studio Dies that are 12 inches wide or less. It costs between $319 (on sale at Joann's now) and $350. Versus $250 for the Accuquilt Go and $600 for the Accuquilt Studio.

It is NOT portable. It needs a dedicated space. I invested in the Ebony Love book: The Big Little Book of fabric die cutting tips. It was great. It compares the Accuquilt Go baby, Accuquilt Go, Sizzix Big Shot, Sizzix Big shot Pro and the Accuquilt Studio. It also has great tips on die cutting in general. I find the book well worth the investment. Unfortunately it appears to be out of print now. Hope I never misplace mine. I used it to research die cutters and then I continue to use it for the tips. It has a great section for the Sizzix Big shot pro to tell you what adaptors you need to use other systems dies.
Old 05-29-2015, 03:37 AM

I think those machines are one of those things I call "nice but not necessary". I have not felt that I wanted to buy one and then spend a lot of money for the dies. My whizzy whacker works just fine and it will cut any size I want with no extra charge.
Old 05-29-2015, 04:44 AM

Just received an e-mail from Sizzix. They now have a new model with a 9" opening for the dies. I'd investigate this one before buying. It is a crank.