Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
accuquiter >

accuquiter

accuquiter

Old 05-23-2011, 06:59 AM

In the beginning you'll follow the directions about placing the fabric on the cutter and you'll waist material; but then you get smarter and do it your way. The one thing that I'll tell you is to make sure you pay attention to the bias because that will change the size of your block. Other than that; I love it. I make rag quilts for alot of people and that makes my life so much easier. I will go to Wal-Marts and get alot of flannel and spend one whole day cutting out material and do the quilting part of the block and then stack them up so that when I need to make one I pick out the appropriate block and sew them together. This machine is great; a big time saver. You can get the dies on sale alot; even on ebay.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:00 AM

I love my Studio cutter. I bought it because the die selection is so much better than the go. I do alot of applique and sell alot of appliques at quilt shows.
Rose Hall
Old 05-23-2011, 11:08 AM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

I love my go.. I have almost all the dies ( minus a few applique ones) I too have many back up mats as I go thru them quickly.. But Ill use the larger mats when they can no longer be used for the larger dies and use it with the smaller dies.. As long as the die is covered doesn't matter which one i use.. As for the the cost of the dies.. accuracy and less fabric waste makes this a bargain for me..
Old 05-23-2011, 12:47 PM

Can someone who has actually taken it out of the box and used it tell me something (mine in box)...I've seen them put the die thru on an angle and some do it straight...? Which way is right or does it matter...
Old 05-23-2011, 12:56 PM

It doesn't matter which way. Accuquilt has a great web site that offers tips as well. Some of the dies have the shapes at an angle those are supposed to have the material layed on them at an angle to make the cutting correct; per web site. If you are nervous about it then test running some pape thru it first to see how it comes out. One tip that was given up here that I think is great is to outline the shapes with a sharpie so they are easier to see. I try to minimize the wasted material so this is really important to me but if you don't care then cut the material the size of the die and it'll cover the whole thing and you'll be good. Remember to watch the grain of fabric; it will change the size of the block if you don't. Some fabrics I starch before working with them to help minimize stretching
Old 05-23-2011, 01:05 PM

I've had mine for over a year now and love it. Sure is faster than cutting with a rotary, and everything comes out right. I have 21 of the dies so far, am waiting for the 6 1/2" strip die. I know it's easy to cut 6 1/2" strips with a rotary, but with the Go you can cut 6 - 8 at a time! It will make great borders. And I do not mind the small amount of waste fabric. I like the idea of braiding them, might have to try that! A friend is keeping her's to make rugs.
Old 05-24-2011, 05:59 AM
Power Poster

Bayside Quilting has a sale on the Go for $199 the next few days. Also the dies are 30% off.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:15 AM

I just got mine a month ago and love it. I've only used it one day....I cut enough fabric for 9 kids quilts in about 2 hours! So I won't pull it out again for a while.