Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
add a quarter ruler >

add a quarter ruler

add a quarter ruler

Old 03-10-2015, 06:15 AM
Power Poster

I would use my 12.5" square ruler to cut an unusual square size of 10.25". I do use my 3.5" Omnigrid ruler when I need to add a 1/4" up to 3.5" to my 6"x24" ruler.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:19 AM

thank you for the tip. I can't get a ruler the size I need so the add a quarter makes it the size I need.
Old 03-10-2015, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
How do you use it for paper piecing and not cut against it?
She just means don't cut against it if you're trying to add a quarter inch to a regular ruler. It just isn't made to work that way. The ruler itself is probably 1/2" wide. There is a very shallow lip-so shallow that it only catches a sheet or two of paper-in the center. So if you lined the lip up to the edge of the ruler, it would make the add-a-quarter ruler suspended above the fabric and not down against it. If you put it on the opposite end of the ruler and line up the lip with the edge of the fabric, then it will add the quarter but I honestly would not trust it to be 100% accurate using it this way. I use two rulers side by side if one isn't wide enough.
Old 03-10-2015, 04:07 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
The ruler is for paper piecing and is not meant to add length to your regular ruler. If you do attempt to use it, don't cut against it, put it on the other side of your square ruler.
Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
How do you use it for paper piecing and not cut against it?
You can cut against it when you PP, but the lip is sized to ride over a fabric + paper seam and lay flat so you can safely cut with it. A rotary ruler is too thick to allow the ruler to sit flat. It will wobble. So you don't want to cut against it using it in this manner.
Old 03-11-2015, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by AudreyB View Post
What a great idea! I had never thought of doing that. I just pulled out my Add-A-Quarter ruler and laid it on a different ruler, and it worked great! I will remember this and use it in the future when I can. Thank you for your great idea. And, yes, it works just fine.
Duh!! Why didn't I think of that. Thank you.
Old 03-11-2015, 05:48 AM

I use mine all the time but never for the use your talking about. Don' see why it wouldn't work but be careful of movemement when 2 rulers a together. You could draw a line at the ten mark and then use the quarter inch.

Last edited by danlynmartin; 03-11-2015 at 05:50 AM. Reason: Missed letters
Old 03-11-2015, 06:10 AM

I love my add 1/4 ruler and use it all the time. I have never used it as suggested against another ruler but what a great idea. It is my go to ruler in paper piecing and I use it as a small ruler when I just want to measure something. I lost mine and couldn't do without it so bought another and then of course I found the first one so now I have two!
Old 03-11-2015, 06:11 AM

I've not tried this myself but the reviews have been good...

http://www.guidelines4quilting.com/QR-SAA.html
Old 03-11-2015, 07:21 AM

My add-a-quarter ruler is one of my most used tools! I'm sure you could find a way to make it work or tape a piece of cardboard to the opposite side of the ruler that you'd cut on. That would add the 1/4" without a lot of expense & still get the job done without a big lip like the add-a-quarter ruler has. I think my 10" square up ruler is actually 10-1/2". You may want to check that to be sure!
Old 03-11-2015, 02:03 PM

Could you use a larger ruler and mark the line you need to use with painters tape. I keep a roll in my sewing room. I often mark my rulers with the tape when I need to make repeated cuts on the same line.