Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
More Admiration and Appreciation >

More Admiration and Appreciation

More Admiration and Appreciation

Old 03-11-2015, 09:06 AM

Default More Admiration and Appreciation

I have been working on a quilt top for a while now. In the last stages and am raw-edge appliqueing elements onto a pieced top. In the process of doing this and shoving this top through the throat of my machine - which is pretty reasonably sized - I have even more respect, appreciation and admiration for those who do intricate machine quilting on their domestic machines!

I can't even imagine wrestling a bed sized quilt sandwich through there and having the quilting look even 'decent' let alone some of the stunning work you folks do!

My hat is off to you.
Old 03-11-2015, 10:19 AM
Power Poster

I agree! I too think quilting on a DSM takes so much more talent and patience than a LA.
Old 03-11-2015, 10:43 AM

I can only stipple and straight line quilt with my DSM and I do nothing larger than a lap quilt. I see some beautiful quilting done on DSMs on this board. I'm always amazed.
Old 03-11-2015, 11:35 AM

I agree and don't know if I will ever get the hang of it. Don't think I will ever own a LA or afford to quilt with my wallet.
Old 03-11-2015, 12:23 PM

I agree too. I only do lap quilts on my DSM now. Anything else is just not fun!
Old 03-11-2015, 12:28 PM
Power Poster

It is NOT hard. I have been quilting on my Bernina 1530 since I bought it in the 90s. Won may ribbons with my baby. You just have to have a plan of starting quilting in the center, then working out from there. You need really good support to you left and behind the machine.
Old 03-13-2015, 03:42 AM
Power Poster

I have two 9" throat machines and I do FMQ - large stipples or just meander quilting on them all the time. I have done large quilts. It is a challenge on any over double size quilts but after the center cross it gets easier. I then divide the quilt into quarters and do it like that. I have many pics of my quilts on this board. I don't do any fancy quilting, just not for me.
A long arm would be much easier but I don't have room for one.
Old 03-13-2015, 06:00 AM
shy

I quilt king size quilts on my DSM Mainly what it takes is patient's..since there is so much starting and stopping to move the quilt..I always start in the middle and work out..I know some who don't ..but to go from edge to edge makes way more under the machine as u go..plus u have to REALLY have all layers tight together..as we all know they like to move..my sewing area is very small..I use the bunching way of doing it ..as I don't have room for a big table to lay the quilt on..u do one block or small area at a time with the quilt bunch up around the machine.never let it hang down..as it will not be able to move under the needle easy..so really anyone can do it..if u have patience to spare...which I admit I do lose..Then I just leave for awhile...try it ..u may enjoy the challenge..
Old 03-13-2015, 06:05 AM

It takes practice and some thinking ahead but it's possible!! I have a 9" throat now, which helps a lot. I can FMQ a king-size. Not easily, and still not very well, but I can do it! (The "not very well" part happens regardless of quilt size - I'm just still not that great at FMQ yet. But I'll get there!)
Old 03-14-2015, 10:45 AM

In order to do a larger quilt, make 4 "lap size quilts" then sew them together like a 4 patch. I have seen some great ones at my LQS.