Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
add a quarter ruler >

add a quarter ruler

add a quarter ruler

Old 03-11-2015, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by meanmom View Post
Could you use a larger ruler and mark the line you need to use with painters tape. I keep a roll in my sewing room. I often mark my rulers with the tape when I need to make repeated cuts on the same line.
I do the same thing!
Old 03-11-2015, 03:37 PM

I bought a baggie of old sewing items at a yard sale a few years ago, and one of the things in it was a little round thing with a hole in the middle. After some research, I discovered it is for adding that quarter inch to your pieces after tracing around a pattern. Leave the pattern there, butt the round brass "button" against it, put your pencil in the center hole, and as you push the button to make it roll around the pattern, you leave a line a quarter inch outside the first pattern you drew from tracing.

I guess this was the original way to add a quarter inch to your pieces.
Old 03-12-2015, 04:30 AM
Power Poster

You could cut a piece of template plastic into that size and use it for a pattern.
I put sandpaper dots on it to help prevent sliding on the fabric.
Because I have been known to nick the thin plastic, I put an acrylic ruler on top of it and rotary cut against that.

You could also go to a hardware store that does window repairs and have someone cut a piece of plexiglas to the size you want. Just check the size before you leave to make sur it is very close to what you need. Some people are better cutters than others. Stress the importance of accuracy to your project.

I would mark either of these templates with the size so I would grab the right one.
Old 03-12-2015, 02:39 PM

I have an "add 1/4" ruler and I absolutely HATE it! I use my regular quilter's ruler to paper piece with and have never had any problems with it not laying flat. I guess I am in the minority here...oh well...
Old 03-13-2015, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
I use my add a quarter ruler all the time for paper piecing and love it! If you place the lip against your ruler it will add the quarter, however it will not reach the fabric, which may or may not effect cutting. I would line my fabric up on the lines of my cutting mat, then line my ruler up so the 3/4" mark lines up on the second inch line, which would put the edge at the 10 1/4" place.
Why wouldn't it reach the fabric? The lip would fit tight against her ruler just as it does against whatever you use for folding back the PPing pattern. I think it's a wonderful idea and just wish I had thought about this many times before when I needed to cut that extra 1/4". Good thinking!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-13-2015, 06:45 AM
Power Poster

Because most acrylic rulers are about an eighth inch thick. Two layers of fabric are much less.
Old 03-13-2015, 11:51 AM

Here's a picture from the side. You can see that the add-a-quarter ruler doesn't reach the surface.
Attached Thumbnails addaquarter.jpg  
Old 03-13-2015, 04:59 PM

omg, you are so right...I thought for sure the lip was the same as the ruler. My hubby made me a plate for my 1/4" ruler and I thought it to be the same as my regular ruler.......sorry, my mistake.
Old 03-14-2015, 10:42 AM

Off to the LQS to get a 1/4" ruler! Thanks everyone!