Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Advice on getting started with adding paint to quilts

  1. #1
    Senior Member LyndaOH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    northwest Ohio
    Posts
    958
    I need your advice on the best way to get started with adding paint to quilts. I'm interested in adding shadowing to flowers in art quilts as well as playing with some of my modern quilts.

    Do you have recommendations on which products to try?

    Thanks!

    LD

  2. #2
    Super Member thimblebug6000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    British Columbia
    Posts
    4,381
    At the course I took last weekend they recommended Fabrico Pens the Nature Series and Prisma Colour Art Sticks. I haven't tried either of them but saw the result and it really added shape to the petals.

  3. #3
    Senior Member LyndaOH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    northwest Ohio
    Posts
    958
    Thanks, Thimblebug! I'm going to look up both of those.

    How was the class you took?

  4. #4
    Super Member fabric_fancy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    at my sewing machine
    Posts
    1,976
    for the type of project you have in mind i use Tsukineko All Purpose Inks.

    they blend really well and do not change the hand of the fabric.

    http://www.tsukineko.com/store/cart....duct_list&c=24

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Enid, OK
    Posts
    8,930
    Blog Entries
    1
    check out Cindy Walter books..or even just her website...somewhere on this computer I have my teaching lessons she sent me....

    you can buy all sorts of fancy paints, but all you really need is a GOOD acrylic paint and a fabric medium to thin it out with...you can find all that at Michaels or Hobby lobby.
    print some crayon book pages off on muslin that is ironed to freezer paper and PLAY for a while till you get the look you like...

    you can use the Jaquard paints like dye-na-flow too...they cost more, but have the medium in them already!
    http://www.jacquardproducts.com/prod...nts/dyenaflow/

    PM me if you are looking to buy anything..I do like to barter!!! :lol:

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Enid, OK
    Posts
    8,930
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by thimblebug6000
    At the course I took last weekend they recommended Fabrico Pens the Nature Series and Prisma Colour Art Sticks. I haven't tried either of them but saw the result and it really added shape to the petals.
    these work but you have NO control over the amount of color you get...for shading/shadowing you might not like the intensity of these colors.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Enid, OK
    Posts
    8,930
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
    for the type of project you have in mind i use Tsukineko All Purpose Inks.

    they blend really well and do not change the hand of the fabric.

    http://www.tsukineko.com/store/cart....duct_list&c=24
    these do work, but they are harder to find and more costly. You also might need to add the fabric medium depending on what you using them on.

  8. #8
    Power Poster QuiltE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    13,240
    At the quilt show I went to last weekend, there was one quilt where the embroidered flowers, leaves etc will filled in with "crayon".

    I know nothing else as to the how and what .... it was absolutely incredible!

  9. #9
    Super Member woody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Canberra, Australia
    Posts
    1,986
    Blog Entries
    1
    This might be something to look at, great tutorial on Derwent Inktense pencils

    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-140660-1.htm

  10. #10
    Super Member thimblebug6000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    British Columbia
    Posts
    4,381
    Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    Quote Originally Posted by thimblebug6000
    At the course I took last weekend they recommended Fabrico Pens the Nature Series and Prisma Colour Art Sticks. I haven't tried either of them but saw the result and it really added shape to the petals.
    these work but you have NO control over the amount of color you get...for shading/shadowing you might not like the intensity of these colors.
    The instructor mentioned that if it got too dark she took a wad of masking tape & ran it over until she got the right tone & then heat set it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.