Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: To paint, or not to paint

To paint, or not to paint

I stumbled across a centennial Featherweight in good condition... for a mere six dollars and forty five cents. Yep, believe it or not, and it purrs like a charm. It does have a couple very small bare spots in the paint, so after cleaning it up, I've been contemplating repainting it. What's holding me back from this final decision is the effect on resale value, if any, that comes w/ repainting these old machines. I personally really love the shiny new and wild colors I've seen on these old machines, but does repainting them take away from any future resale value, or not? Thanks for any advise/opinions.

At this point if you covered it with buttons you could still make money on it! LOL What a super deal!

I agree with Up North, you will love her sew much that you'll have her forever. Your kids may sale and who cares for what as long as you have enjoyed her.
    http://www.skillpages.com/DonnaValleyquiltermo
    Sweet Dreams come from under Cozy Quilts made with love.
    Life is short, take time to enjoy it. Play with your kids and g-kids,
    and do what you can for others.

I am not sure but I think the price on the repainted ones is comparable with the originals. So unless there was something significantly special about your particular machine I would say it would not effect the current price. Who knows what they will be going for in 20 years.
    Lisa

Blog Entries
    Contrary to their pricing, Featherweights are not rare. Getting one for six dollars and fourty five cents is tho!!

I agree with Lisa, I don't think the repainted machines are any less valuable than are the originals. (Stay away from orange tho, that one down south doesn't seem to be selling on ebay or craig's list! LOL )
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

http://charleeturner.blogspot.com

I agree with Charlee. Do what you want. It's not like you're going to be out any money. Sewing machines ARE NOT investments and should be used and enjoyed.

I am sure if you stick to a desired color like red you will come out on top.

There must be something in the air...all these FW deals that people are posting about are making me so jealous! And we need more details please! Did you find it at a garage sale, pawn shop, thrift store, etc?

Blog Entries
    Paint it RED and send it to me!!! I wouldn't worry about resale either at the price you got it for!!

At the last national quilt show in Knoxville, there was a vendor who refurbishes Featherweights. Some are black, but the really snazzy ones are teal, John Deere green, etc. If I had my choice, I'd go with a wild color 10:1 to a black one. When I see the Kitchenaid mixers at Williams Sonoma, I am so tempted to get one....it's just that the white one I bought in 1980 works just fine....paint it, and enjoy it!

Go on and paint it and have a blast with it

How lucky you are to find a FW so incredibly cheap!! I'm holding out for a great find someday! My DH is ready to stain the cabinet of my 1953 99s and I'm excited about putting that little lady back in her home so I can try sewing with her! I'm still undecided on her name-have to get the right one.
    jillnjo

Banned
    I say paint it but thats just me! LOL

Congrats on the killer score!!!!!

Billy

What a total bargain.....I say paint it..love it...use it....Ah...no chance of me ever finding one here (West Aussie quilter pouting at lack of very cool machines in Australia! Not to mention the huge prices asked for total rubbish)

Great find! As others are saying, why not go with a new paint job? People repaint their homes and cars all the time to suit them. Have fun with it!
    I have a screw driver and YouTube--I can fix it!

Blog Entries
    There are lots of reputable auto body repair shops that can repaint it for you and you might just have it back home in a couple days. I think it is important how you prep for the paint. http://www.sew2go.com/adfwrestoration.htm
    search before you do much - know what kind of paint you want as well as how to prep the machine
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

I vote for royal blue or hot pink..s omething wild and wonderful. It would not affect the price at all.

If you are not going to resale. Then you can do what you want to do.I vote for Royal blue.

Thanks for all the replies, cause THEY ARE ALL 100% CORRECT!!! These machines are not rare, plus I have no intent on selling it (regardless of what hubby thinks!! haha). Now it's as simple as deciding on a color and never thought of John Deere green (we're a farming family, so it'd fit right in), but hot pink, or maybe royal blue... oh the choices are limitless! Also never thought of an auto body shop for the prepping and painting. Thanks again!

If it is just a couple of small areas - I would just leave it the way it is - use it an enjoy it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JUNEC View Post
    If it is just a couple of small areas - I would just leave it the way it is - use it an enjoy it.
    I would agree - I call those nicks merit badges
    NEVER let a sewing machine know you are in a hurry.
    good mothers let you lick the beaters - great mothers turn it off first

Ditto Paint it! I wish I had beat you to that deal!

Are you going to do the painting yourself? The professionally painted ones currently seem to go for a premium price. A local car paint shop might be willing to tackle the project if you bring the body over after removing all the working parts yourself. I think you'd be safe painting exactly any color that pleases you. How about a 1960's flower child design? If I found one for dirt cheap I'd definitely consider that! Since I'm never going to sell mine, I could decoupage my grandson's picture on it, and nobody in the family would dare say I shouldn't.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Blog Entries
    I wouldn't repaint it. Check out Singer Featherweight.com. There are some touchup paints available, like nail polish, with small brushes. It could then be rubbed out. Don't tackle this unless you have expert help. Check out some of the featherweight sites and be well advised.
    Donna Quilts
    We help the wounded soldiers.

mine is paited red love it. when arm gats better will be sewing on it again
    judy

Blog Entries
    Way to go girl!!!!! Go Girl, Go Girl. You are the sewing machine "CHAMP" With the price you paid for you new baby, you can do almost any thing to it and still more than get your money back (and then some). As far as sewing goes, any color you paint her will not change her sewing!! So have a good time, paint a color you will enjoy looking at. Remember the best way to paint your new machine (old), is to have her painted in an auto shop. Then you will get that HARD baked on finish.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast