Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Advice needed on fusibles >

Advice needed on fusibles

Advice needed on fusibles

Old 12-18-2013, 09:02 AM

Default Advice needed on fusibles

Since my favorite fusible, lite steam a steam, is no longer available I've been forced to try some different fusibles but have had poor results. Is there a comparable fusible on the market that would have similar results to the lite steam a seam and not be too heavy or stiff?
Old 12-18-2013, 09:07 AM

I use the Heat & Bond FEATHERWEIGHT. I did an appliqué quilt with large appliqués and when I was done you couldn't tell by feeling that there was a fusible in it. Soft drape and no stiffness at all
Old 12-18-2013, 09:09 AM
Power Poster

Making note of that. Going to fabric store today and looking for it.
Originally Posted by auntpiggylpn View Post
I use the Heat & Bond FEATHERWEIGHT. I did an appliqué quilt with large appliqués and when I was done you couldn't tell by feeling that there was a fusible in it. Soft drape and no stiffness at all
Old 12-18-2013, 10:35 AM
KLO

I was stunned by this news so I did a google search. It sounds like they were having a problem with the newly manufactured Steam-a-Seam so they stopped making it. But if I read it right (not sure about that though), it sounds like they will be coming out with it in the future once they get the bugs straightened out. I had a friend who bought some of the newer stuff after using the old stuff for years and she did not like it for several reasons. Hopefully the "newer new" (if you understand what I mean) stuff will be like the old stuff because that worked well. (Yep, clear as mud I am sure.) I still have a fairly decent supply of the old stuff. (PS: There does appear to still be some out there on ebay and other internet sites if you really only want that.)
Old 12-18-2013, 10:39 AM
Power Poster

I use Heat N Bond Lite all the time- I prefer it over the steam a seam. wonder under is another one I've used on occasion- it works ok too. misty fuse is another option-
Old 12-18-2013, 08:24 PM

I ended up with some of that new steam a seam lite and it is awful! I started a huge project with it and am also looking for something similar in feel.