Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thimble, Thimble...Who's Got The Thimble? >

Thimble, Thimble...Who's Got The Thimble?

Thimble, Thimble...Who's Got The Thimble?

Old 12-12-2013, 07:02 AM

Default Thimble, Thimble...Who's Got The Thimble?

Remember that childhood game?

I wonder, what is your favorite type of thimble and what task do you use it for? Have you ever tried Japanese thimbles? Ring thimbles? Leather? Beeswax? Plastic? Metal?

~ Cindy
Old 12-12-2013, 07:13 AM
Power Poster

i've never been too successful with a thimble. my best try was a leather one. now i just quilt in my lap and push the needle with the bottom side of my long thumbnail. i don't hadn quilt very much... about 1-2 hours a week.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:15 AM

I have never seen the Japanese thimbles before, or I didn't know what they were. I now think I must acquire one or two.

I use some old jelly thimbles that I bought years ago when I was showing some kids how to quilt.

Last edited by DebraK; 12-12-2013 at 07:22 AM.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:18 AM
Power Poster

I use a John James thimble for hand quilting my rocking stitch and a thumble for quilting away from myself. The John James gas a little ridge around the top that keeps my needle from sliding off when I load my needle with stitches.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:23 AM
Power Poster

I have small hands and trying to find the right thimble to fit is a pain. What I've come up with and since my little niece who has super tiny hands is; I went to the pharmacy and I needed an support bandage (Ace type). They have come out with what is called self adhesive. I cut some of it off for myself and my niece. The bandage holds the thimble in place and is easy to adjust. You can also get this in blue. I am super allergic to the adhesives on band aids. The bandage is called COACH self-adhering bandage.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:25 AM

I like a metal thimble, for hand quilting I used the Roxanne thimble, loved it. I no longer hand quilt but still use that thimble when doing hand stitching down the binding.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:26 AM

Japanese thimbles are out for me, I use more of the tip of my finger. I don't like the feel of the plastic/rubber thimbles. Leather worked well until the eye end of my needle punched through the leather into my finger. Have always used the full metal thimbles but was gifted one of the Clover open metal ones, they are designed for people with long nails, So far I really like it. Not as hot on my finger, and no needles running up under my nail.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:27 AM
Power Poster

I have not been very good with using a thimble, have only used metal and the soft plastic type.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
i've never been too successful with a thimble. my best try was a leather one. now i just quilt in my lap and push the needle with the bottom side of my long thumbnail. i don't hadn quilt very much... about 1-2 hours a week.

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh, that hurts. My nails are not one bit hard.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by DebraK View Post
I have never seen the Japanese thimbles before, or I didn't know what they were. I now think I must acquire one or two.

I use some old jelly thimbles that I bought years ago when I was showing some kids how to quilt.
I've seen a couple of types of Japanese thimbles. One has a little paddle tab that sticks out from a ring. Another one I've seen is a ring style, with dimples in the band. Try Googling it to see what comes up.